• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion, in nickels.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Evidently you didn't catch the part where this isn't true. ;)

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
You would be correct in assuming that... *Hides in a corner.*

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Feel free to end my humiliation at any time by deleting this thread... Haha

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I guess the breadcurmb Home > Humor > Satire didnt catch your eye huh? And delete it? Oh no, this is good fun..though in schwebs lounge..:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pay them with Pennies! That would be even better! :D

Reaction score
Doesn't the US have similar laws to the UK on what constitutes "legal tender"? There is a maximum value which can be paid in lower denominations, and I can't help feeling this might have transcended that limit - if it had actually happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

The melt value of pre-1982 pennies is about 226% of face value. So... if they paid with 100 billion pennies, that $1Billion would more than double to $2.26Billion. I'd take that... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't think that is legal anyways. I believe, if I remember correctly, there's a clause in lawsuit claims that states payment can to be made in whatever way, unless arrangements are made beforehand, as long as any fees associated with the winning side being able to claim the winning total without having to under go fees to attain their claim. I don't think there's a bank out there that would take all those nickels without some obscene fee.

This would be funny though if it were actually real. I could seriously imagine Apple doing it right back to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I was about to say how immature on samsungs part but i caught on that it was fake. Lol i would laugh so hard if it was true.

C

chas_m

Two things:

1. Samsung will not have to pay the fine for quite some time to come, if ever (depending on appeals). But it's important to bear in mind that the jury found that Samsung's patent stealing was WILLFUL, which is likely to triple the fine to a total of $3.15B.

2. Samsung would never pay a fine in nickels because Apple has never paid a fine in nickels. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Reaction score
No matter what the outcome of the legal case, I shall be extremely surprised if Samsung ever pay any fine (of this sort of magnitude).

I think the most likely development is that Samsung will apply to have the court finding set aside.

Reaction score
I read that a South Korean court has fined both Apple and Samsung, ruling that each infringed the other's patents in building their mobile devices and banning some of their products from sale in the country.

Whether they will actually have to pay, I don't know.

SM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
There's been so many rumors lately about this. There's videos and articles all over the place talking about how Samsung has paid them in pennies too. It's a little hard to believe and if they did something like this, it'd make Samsung look bad. It's more of an immature move than anything if that's the case. Samsung is also counter-suing Apple for the LTE technology in the iPhone 5, so who knows? They may not have to pay a nickel. No pun intended. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch, iMac, Mountain Lion

This happened in the North of England about 50 years ago. A local (Wealthy) character was so ticked off by the taxation department, that he sent his fine to them in three packing cases full of pennies and half-pennies (Before decimal currency). The tax people sent the lot back as it wasn't legal tender in that form.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.