Logic Pro 9

Reaction score
I am considering buying Logic Pro 9 and I want to make sure I have everything I need to use to do musical instrument recordings.

I have two Yamaha midi keyboards, an Onyx 1640 16 channel mixing board and then assorted mics and instruments.

My question is will the Onyx mixing board work for sound input via a firewire connection. It does not have any usb connectors.

Thanks,

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
It should work.

Once you install Logic, Go to preferences -> control surfaces

Your Onyx board should be listed there and you can set it up.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. Do you happen to know if I would have have an amp in line for it to work or would hooking the Onyx directly to the computer work?

Thanks,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the board has an on board pre amp (I would imagine it would if it has microphone inputs) then plugging it right into the computer's firewire port should do the trick.

OP
G
Reaction score
If the board has an on board pre amp (I would imagine it would if it has microphone inputs) then plugging it right into the computer's firewire port should do the trick.

It does have preamps for the Mic. It says one for each of the 16 channels. So 16 preamps. A stupid question: Would the preamps also affect all of the inputs? Because it has Onyx mic pre, line and then insert. so if I want to plug a guitar in to the board using a 1/4" connector is that going to feed though to the computer?

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In short, yes.

If you look at your board, you will see everything arranged in vertical strips. You will see a microphone input and also somewhere near it, you will see a 1/4" line input. Each one of those strips is what's called a channel and each channel will be wired into a pre amp. So if you wanted to plug in an electric guitar into the line input on channel one it would go through the pre amp on channel one. A microphone plugged into channel two will be passed through the channel two pre amp, etc.

Now in Logic, you will not hear anything until you have the tracks armed to record. To record an electric guitar and a say, a vocal track simultaneously, you would create two mono audio tracks in Logic, then on the first track, you would make sure the track is recording channel one under the input tab on the channel strip and the 2nd track is recording channel two, etc. You will click the little record buttons next to each track which will light them up and arm them. Once you have the levels the way you want on the Onyx board, you will click the main record button next to play, stop, pause, etc and it will start recording everything simultaneously from the different mics and instruments.

I should note that most boards will not work with both a microphone and a line instrument plugged into the same channel and that can sometimes damage your board by overloading it. One instrument or mic per channel.

OP
G
Reaction score
OK, all noted. So even though this board seems to be passive regarding the preamp, the computer will still pick up the signal and Logic Pro will see it. This make a huge difference for me as to whether I go with Logic Pro or not. If I do I have to buy yet another computer and the program, but, since I am buying an Intel Mac used, the outlay is reasonable. But if I have to start buying amps and equalizers then I will just keep what I am currently using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.