Corrupt OS a effect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram
Having been a long time Windows user, I know periodically you have to reinstall Windows every year or two. Some Windows users say they don't have to do this, but I certainly always have.

Is this true with Mac OS X? I've been using it for a week now, and wonder what the effect is of installing programs, deciding I don't want them, and then uninstalling them. With Windows, this could lead to registry entries that should be deleted, but were not during uninstall, and DLLs that also didn't uninstall, cluttering the hard drive. Eventually the OS slows down and gets sluggish.

Does Mac OS X suffer from this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No. OS X, as a derivative of BSD (itself, a UNIX variant) was designed for mainframes that run in mission critical environments. It was intended to run 24/7/365 and never need to be reinstalled. The OS prevents major system directories and files from being modified. There is no registry. Worst case scenario is that you may have to create a new user account and delete the old - but even that's a pretty rare event.

Windows can accumulate cruft over time, particularly in the registry, which will eventually make it unstable or slow. It's not a question of "if" it needs to be reinstalled, but "when".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.