line-in feature on macbook pro a1278

Reaction score
hi. does anyone know if the headphone jack on a macbook pro a1278 double up as a line-in device. iv'e been to my preferences and on sound/input my only option appears to be the internal microphone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
As it is a headphone jack I can only assume it is a line out jack. I can't see it being any good for input devices.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does your MBP only have a single auto connector? What icon is next it? What year is your MBP?

OP
U
Reaction score
hey,my macbook is a 2012 model....on the standard macbook i used to have which i bought in 2010 the headphone jack doubled up as a line in,i was hoping this would be capable of the same. i'm thinking not though,which is a tad frustrating as you'd expect this to be the superior machine.

OP
U
Reaction score
single auto connector with a headphones icon next to it...but like i say,i'm pretty sure the same was aith my standard macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Just a thought, can't you select an option to choose 'Line in' to record through the input in System Prefs?

Screen Shot 2012-08-28 at 20.55.47.png

OP
U
Reaction score
hey,cheers for getting back to me everyone. pendlewitch,iv'e tried that but with no luck unfortunately. iv'e gotta say, i'm really disappointed in apple on deciding to scrap the line-in port for the macbook pro 13-inch 2012 range. for a machine that cost me nearly a grand you would have thought it would have came with this very basic of features...you could line-in on my old 2010 range white macbook,this seems like a step backwards to me,and for whats supposed to be a superior machine! i just don't understand there logic...even a £400 PC has a line-in port as standard...my faith in apple products has been truly knocked by this....i don't suppose there's any other was i could use one of the other ports as a line-in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey,cheers for getting back to me everyone. pendlewitch,iv'e tried that but with no luck unfortunately. iv'e gotta say, i'm really disappointed in apple on deciding to scrap the line-in port for the macbook pro 13-inch 2012 range. for a machine that cost me nearly a grand you would have thought it would have came with this very basic of features...you could line-in on my old 2010 range white macbook,this seems like a step backwards to me,and for whats supposed to be a superior machine! i just don't understand there logic...even a £400 PC has a line-in port as standard...my faith in apple products has been truly knocked by this....i don't suppose there's any other was i could use one of the other ports as a line-in?

But what happens in the Sound>Input pane when you actually plug the mic in, does it not recognise it at all ?

OP
U
Reaction score
no it doesn't....and after some more research iv'e discovered that apple just didn't bother with a line-in port for the macbook pro 13inch 2012 range. serves me right for presuming a £999 laptop would come with something quite as extravagant as this! haha...iv'e had to bite the bullet and at more expense purchase a usb sound card...cheers for your help though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no it doesn't....and after some more research iv'e discovered that apple just didn't bother with a line-in port for the macbook pro 13inch 2012 range. serves me right for presuming a £999 laptop would come with something quite as extravagant as this! haha...iv'e had to bite the bullet and at more expense purchase a usb sound card...cheers for your help though!

Crikey, it only looks like it supports a headset with mic. You can't do it with the HDMi either so it looks like more peripherals for a solution via USB. I don't understand it... unless it's a DRM thing again?

I think most pros would use an external sound card anyway so it's swings and roundabouts maybe?

OP
U
Reaction score
possibly...although the 15inch model comes with a separate line-in port,so i think not to have this on the 13inch model is just bad form to be honest...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.