Macintosh HD shortcuts in Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Renamed: Hidden Macintosh HD

I recently used Force quit to relaunch the Finder, and somehow in the process eliminated the shortcut to Macintosh HD that was in the sidebar along with the one for Network. I'd like to restore that particular shortcut, since I rather liked it. So how would I go about doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Go to Finder preferences by hitting "Command+," with Finder selected.

You'll see a window that has a tab called "Sidebar Items". Check "HardDisks".

As for the HD shortcut on your desktop, go to the tab "General" and select "HardDisks" from the "Show these items on the desktop".

That should do it. :mac:

edit: Saw that you edited your post, do the same thing for the Network, you'll see it in the preferences.

OP
Discerptor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
surfwax95 said:
Go to Finder preferences by hitting "Command+," with Finder selected.

You'll see a window that has a tab called "Sidebar Items". Check "HardDisks".

As for the HD shortcut on your desktop, go to the tab "General" and select "HardDisks" from the "Show these items on the desktop".

That should do it. :mac:

edit: Saw that you edited your post, do the same thing for the Network, you'll see it in the preferences.
When I went into the preferences, those things were already checked. Then I tried unchecking and rechecking, and the Macintosh HD is still not there in the sidebar or on the desktop. I know at least I can make a regular shortcut to Macintosh HD on the desktop, but the sidebar thing still irks me. :(

If it helps any, Macintosh HD appears to be faded in the finder.
Also, I tried logging in as root and the same thing is happening there with Macintosh HD.

OP
Discerptor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I think this is more than a matter of shortcuts now. When I open up the whole computer in a Finder window, it shows me Network but not Macintosh HD. It's like the computer is just trying to hide that item from me everywhere. Anyone know how to stop this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.