ways to increase ram on imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 4GBRAM SNOW LEOPARD
I would like to know the easiest and least expensive way to add ram to my IMAC. It is 3 years old. I just increased my wife's computer to 10gb ram for $8 in less than 5 minutes using a usb flash drive. Is there a way to do similar on my IMAC?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to know the easiest and least expensive way to add ram to my IMAC.

The simplest & easiest way to add ram to an iMac...is to buy "real ram"...and install it.

What you did with your wife's computer with the USB drive is really not increasing the ram. You may have created "virtual ram" with the USB drive:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4431896_use-flash-drive-as-ram.html

Read the "Tips & Warnings" section in the link...since using a USB drive as extra ram is really not the best solution in the long term.

I personally have not heard of someone doing this on a Mac. I'm not saying that it cannot be done...I just haven't heard of anyone doing it.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 4GBRAM SNOW LEOPARD
Thank you. I will read the link. I don't know the difference between ram and virtual ram. How would I install the ram? My IMAC is 8,1 with a single screw in the center.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you. I will read the link. I don't know the difference between ram and virtual ram. How would I install the ram? My IMAC is 8,1 with a single screw in the center.

Go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual

They have DIY instructions for installing or replacing most parts (including ram upgrades) in all model Mac's.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.