recommended software titles

R

Richard Nichols

i need dvd burning software,e-mail software,and any "must have" software.

I would just like the TITLES of the "greatest" proven, highest rated for mac.

I have os X Tiger 10.4.x

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
for dvd burning, you can never go wrong with mac the ripper, and popcorn, or toast 7.

for email go with apple mail, or entourage.

handbrake to rip movies to itunes, and then to the new ipod video.

then for office work, get office for mac = word, powerpoint, excel.

Other than that, you will have to be more specific, on what you want to do.

OP
R

Richard Nichols

software

thanks for the suggestions, where would be the best place to purchase these titles, cost effective shopping is my main objective. i do a lot of web purchases. does my new os include any of these programs that are worth using? seems a silly question but my pc experience tells me to check everywhere and the most powerful apps seems to be stand alone ones.

thanks much.

Reaction score
VersionTracker.com

My one stop shop for all the little apps i need.

For word processing try NeoOffice as a free substitute for Microsoft Office, its not perfect but great for non heavy users

OP
J

jn4jenny

Richard Nichols said:
thanks for the suggestions, where would be the best place to purchase these titles, cost effective shopping is my main objective. i do a lot of web purchases. does my new os include any of these programs that are worth using? seems a silly question but my pc experience tells me to check everywhere and the most powerful apps seems to be stand alone ones.

thanks much.

Ebay is always the most cost effective for paid software. Try www.jbidwatcher.com for a free, open source Ebay sniper. Otherwise, keep your eye on www.dealmac.com. The free stuff can be found on www.versiontracker.com.

If you have Tiger, Apple Mail is actually quite a nice program. Some people don't like it, but give it a try. There are some nice plug-ins for Apple Mail that will enhance its capabilities, too. There are lots of sites for the plugins, but here's a pretty comprehensive one: http://www.tikouka.net/mailapp/

If you don't like Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird is a free e-mail client and it's outstanding. I like it almost as much as I like Apple Mail.

For Microsoft Office 2004, if you're feeling ballsy, you might be able to save a little cash by picking up the Student and Teacher Edition at CompUSA. It's only about $150. Technically they're supposed to ask you for a student ID, but they almost never do. One time I asked them if they cared who bought MS Office Student and Teacher Edition, and they said "no." So I didn't bother to show them my student ID, even though I have one.

Also take a look at some of the neat free programs for OS X. Try www.sourceforge.net and look at the most downloaded stuff, and also check out sites like www.coolosxapps.net and www.freemacware.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.