SVGA or XGA???

Reaction score
hey so I'm gonna buy a projector and I'm looking at the specs on:
ANSI lumens, SVGA, XGA and other projector features information at Projector Point
and it says (regarding Macs), "You can project an SVGA output signal with an XGA projector without significant loss of quality. However, projecting an XGA signal with an SVGA projector can make your presentation look unsightly."

I don't know what my Mac projects out. How do I tell?
I have a MacBook (not Pro) from early 2008
Graphics Intel GMA X3100 144 MB
Mini-DVI out

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook is capable of sending an XGA signal provided the projector you buy is likewise capable. Keep in mind that SVGA is only a resolution of 800 x 600 which unless you're putting on a show in a small room is not going to look very good. XGA provides a much higher resolution (1024 x 768) but projectors capable of XGA are more expensive. There are also projectors capable of 1080P but you don't want to know the price. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... it says (regarding Macs), "You can project an SVGA output signal with an XGA projector without significant loss of quality. However, projecting an XGA signal with an SVGA projector can make your presentation look unsightly."...

That statement has nothing to do with Macs. That statement is true no matter what the source happens to be. It really has nothing to do with computers, because you can set the output of a computer to match the native resolution of the display. There is typically no need to output a resolution that is not the native resolution of the display/projector.

SVGA is 800x600
XGA is 1024x768

Your MacBook will output at either of those resolutions - in fact, it is capable of output up to 1920x1200.

Everyone should bookmark the following site: Mac Specs, Prices, Answers & Comparison @ EveryMac.com, Est. 1996 to find all the specs for your Macs.

(I'm slow - chscag beat me to it.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.