Retina display or without Retinal display

Reaction score
Hi. I have made a HUGE decision today to switch to MacBook (having used Toshiba, Dell, Compaq and HP over the last almost 2 decades).
Now that the main decision has been made, next question is which MacBook. Since MacBook air doesn't come in a 15" display, it's going to be MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (which I believe is the best model).
The final point for which I need advice is whether to go for the Retina display or not. I do not watch movies on my laptop but spend at least half a day working on the compurter. Mainly Emails, Word, Excel and a little bit of internet usage.
What is the recommendation?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have an Apple store near you, you should absolutely go in and compare the two displays for yourself and be the judge. The rMBP is quite a bit more expensive and quite a less more upgradable than it's non-Retina sibling so keep those in mind as well.

But if you going to base your decision purely on having or not having the Retina display, I think you do yourself a disservice by not looking at it with your eyes and going from there. We might suggest the Retina display and you might (probably not really) hate it or vice verse...

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your input. I went to the apple store and saw the machines myself. Of course the retina is far more "stylish" and (at least on the face of it) seems to have great specs. To be very honest, I have a LOT of work on the computer but I'm not a "tech guru" by any means. My work revolves around emails, spreadsheets, word processing, presentations and of course some internet usage (hate to say this but a typical CEO work). Of course I want to have a nice machine. AND I have a lot of traveling and need to carry the laptop with me all the time

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If "money is no object" and you don't think you'll be needing to upgrade the innards of the MBP, then the retina display is not a bad thing to be staring at all day long..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.