Unauthorized Activity

Reaction score
I had just gotten off the phone with tech support so all of my programs were closed showing only my screen saver. Movement caught my eye from across the room, programs were being opened. I tried to control it and close all the programs but my cursor was being held captive. I had to unplug the machine to get it to stop. I got in touch w/ tech support, they said it wasn't from their end. Has anyone had this happen? What does it mean? What can I do about it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had just gotten off the phone with tech support so all of my programs were closed showing only my screen saver. Movement caught my eye from across the room, programs were being opened. I tried to control it and close all the programs but my cursor was being held captive. I had to unplug the machine to get it to stop. I got in touch w/ tech support, they said it wasn't from their end. Has anyone had this happen? What does it mean? What can I do about it?

You may have some kind of remote control software installed on your machine. If you didn't specifically authorize this, or if other individuals have had physical access to it (particularly those who might have reason to want to compromise your machine), then the first thing I'd do would be to scan for traces of spyware.

The MacScan free trial might be helpful for this purpose:

MacScan - Mac OS X Spyware Security and Privacy Malware Removal and Protection for Apple Macintosh

If that yields no result and you have good reason to suspect your machine was compromised, you may want to do a clean install of your operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try a SMC reset by closing down and unplug from the mains for a few minutes, and then reboot. Go into Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions and see if that fixes things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Sounds like you might have Teamviewer or LogMein or sum such installed.

OP
L
Reaction score
The only type of remote program I've allowed is the one Yahoo! techs initialized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Do you know how they did this. Did they get you to download anything.
Also. does anyone have physical access to your computer?

OP
L
Reaction score
No one has touched my computer since I brought it home 2 weeks ago. The Yahoo! tech had me download a logmein type thing. It hasn't happened since I unplugged the monitor. It kinda freaks me out because I feel like "they" can see me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
See response to similar question you asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clean install is the only way to be sure your not compromised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What operating system are you using, also what type of mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.