Lets go back in time.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
A friend of mine just got an older laptop, one of the armored ones that the military uses (or used) its a cyrix chip running a whopping 266 Mhz and Windows 98....

Were gonna use it as a database and VIN/Parts decoder for using in our local pick and pull junkyard (Im a car nut and a computer nut, strange combo I know)

Getting to the meat an potatoes here..... any ideas on what will happen if I connect a USB cable from my Mac to that computer? will mine just recognize it as a HDD?

Or will it even connect at all? it doesnt have an ethernet port.... Yet....

Do we have ANY compatibility here?

just insanely curious.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does the thing even have a USB port? If so, I don't remember if Win98 even supported USB. Assuming that those two things are true, then no, it won't recognize your mac as a hard Drive. You'll need to enable Windows File-sharing on the Mac and whatever the Win98 equivalent is, assuming that there is one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you would be better of installing something like debian linux on there rather than windows

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
baggss said:
Does the thing even have a USB port? If so, I don't remember if Win98 even supported USB. Assuming that those two things are true, then no, it won't recognize your mac as a hard Drive. You'll need to enable Windows File-sharing on the Mac and whatever the Win98 equivalent is, assuming that there is one.

Yes it has USB 1

Yes win 98 supports USB

I dont want it to recognize my Mac as a hard drive, I want my Mac to recognize it as a Hard drive :)

inflexion said:
you would be better of installing something like debian linux on there rather than windows

I have Slackware CD's, but it doesnt have an optical drive, so thats one of the reasons for my questions, aside from extreme curiosity.

It isnt my computer anyway, so the decision about the OS isnt up to me, but FWIW I agree with you :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Icicle said:
I dont want it to recognize my Mac as a hard drive, I want my Mac to recognize it as a Hard drive :)

Don't think that will happen. I thinkl the best you can hope for is to share a folder on the PC side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yup thats the best option but if you want to install linux then you can always do an install over ethernet if it has the port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Icicle said:
what will happen if I connect a USB cable from my Mac to that computer?
Absolutely nothing.
will mine just recognize it as a HDD?
No.

Do we have ANY compatibility here?
If by compatibility, you mean that your Mac will be able to "see" your laptop somehow, then yes.
Like what has been mentioned already, the only way you are going to be able to see the laptop from your Mac, is to someway or another connect to it via a network. You would have to set up some sort of shared folder on the laptop, so the Mac could connect to that.
No, you would not have to use linux, you could still use Windows 98...but as you stated that is not up to you to make that call.

:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.