• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Global Thermonuclear War here we come!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
it.never.ends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
This is just getting so old. I don't even understand why the patent office even allows such broad reaching patents; it's too easy to get a patent that's overly broad which is evident from the nature of many of these patent wars.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just another indication that we are LONG overdue for patent reform . . . :p

I don't understand why updating traffic laws from the "horse and buggy" era to now is relatively easy. But, somehow, we can't seem to realize that market control ideas that worked well when whale oil and candles were the primary source of illumination don't cut it today!

EDIT: I see that as usual my verbose response and slow typing loses to a more succinct style of expression. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
it.never.ends.
It sure doesn't and it serves no purpose other than to infuriate the customer.

When I heard that Android would be banned in certain countries because it infringed on patents, I said that it would never happen (source). This is no different. I've never quite understood why reporters make these conclusions when any reputable journalist would realize that Apple has too much too lose to let this happen.

However, if it does happen, I'll be standing at the border selling goods at reasonable prices. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
They can always try to adapt a corporate version of the strategy that warring U.S. Federal and State governments do with each other... pass laws, file injunctions against the laws, appeal the injunctions, sue the officials originating them, hold investigatory panels that go nowhere and are largely ignored, issue back-door regulatory orders and policies to get around all of the aforementioned, etc... all the while doing whatever they heck they wanted to to begin with, largely ignoring the spirit of any adjudication or judicial intent. It seems to be the cycle this country is in right now anyhow, so the more the merrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think it's absolutely necessary to fight your cause in court to protect what you own, but I believe some of those things that you own can be pretty darn stupid at times. The patent awarding system needs help, because, at the rate we're going, someone's bound to come out claiming they own patents to water, and other unbelievable crap.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
. . . at the rate we're going, someone's bound to come out claiming they own patents to . . . crap.

That would make things decidedly uncomfortable. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.