Objective C Intro Book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - Lion OS, iPad 1, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPhone 4
Can anyone recommend a good beginner book that will work while I'm using XCode 4.4.1? Having trouble finding one.

Reaction score
I prefer books to online tutorials personally, but the only problem with books is they take time to be published and printed, and then shipped to the stores, so the tools like Xcode are newer than the vrersions in the books, but fortunatly the current version of Xcode has not changed dramatically in the past year, so the books will not look out of date.

To learn the Objective-C programming language, I reccomend this book.

Amazon.com: Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) (9780321706287): Aaron Hillegass: Books

And to get you started with iOS programming I would take a look at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/iOS-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321821521/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345656260&sr=1-3&keywords=aaron+hillegass

These books are written by the Big Nerd Ranch guys, who teach highly rated classes and courses on these subjects.

Also I've heard that the books by Stephen Kochan are regarded very highly also, but I have not read them myself.

Programming in Objective-C,Third Edition (Developer's Library): Stephen G. Kochan: 9780321711397: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Programming in Objective-C (4th Edition) (Developer's Library) (9780321811905): Stephen G. Kochan: Books

Both the Big Nerd Ranch, and Stephan Kochan, have web sites with book reader forums, so you can get help with any material in there books, by others reading the books, and the authors themselve's.

But you can also find some very good tutorials online as well, try typing Objective-C tutorial, or iOS programming tutorial, into a google search, and you will get hundreds of sites.

Hope this helps.

Regards mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.