Bootcamp and Windows 8

Reaction score
I cannot get windows 8 going on my machine. This is the second retina I have owned. After going through the whole bootcamp deal with a usb drive, it reboots and presents with nothing but a black screen. Rebooting and holding alt option allows me to select the windows partition, but the nothing. I can reboot and select the efi option, which appears to boot off of my usb drive, but then I can't install on the partition as it contains "mbr" tables. I'm an easy 8 hours deep into this process. I've tried manually partitioning etc to no avail. Any thoughts?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows 8 yelled at me that it will not boot from any USB external drive whether Hard Drive, Memory Stick or whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It won't boot from it to run but it will to install.

How are you creating the bootable USB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
C
Reaction score
Downloaded Windows 8 iso, started bootcamp, chose create bootable usb/download windows support software/install windows. Bootcamp created usb, downloaded support software, partitioned drive, and rebooted laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you tick all 3 options? On the Select tasks screen?

The third option "remove windows" doesn't seem to make sense but several sites are saying it needs to be set in this instance

OP
C
Reaction score
The third option is only remove windows once it is already installed. Before installation, the third option is "Install Windows"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough.

Then I'm at a bit of a loss. It 'should' work so my next step would be, fresh download, different USB drive

OP
C
Reaction score
Exact same scenario when I tried on my other Retina Laptop though, I've gone through all the steps numerous times. The only thing I haven't done is tried a new usb stick, but I can't believe that is the issue......why does it appear to be such a simple process for most? Two laptops and multiple install attempts and I can't get it to go through.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.