Where to start?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
I currently learn java as part of my degree so I am quite comfortable with coding in general. I am looking to start some ios development when I get my mac in the next few weeks. Basically i am wondering where to start. I am currently reading an online tutorial on objective c basics. Looking through the code I can understand what the demo programs are doing, my mind keeps reverting back to java although I can definitely see similarities between the two.
I have had an idea for an app in my head for a while and I am hoping I will be able start to create it in a years time.
So where do i start? I am looking for online resources for now, and will probably get a book later on. Also is it realistic to think I could create a fairly complicated app within a year?

Thanks for any help

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are approaching this the right way. The first thing is to get up to speed with Objective-C, being an OOP language you will see a lot of similarities with other OOP language like C++, Java, C# in the concepts that's talked about. What is different is the syntax and language-specific way of dealing with things.

Once you have that, a book targeting the iOS Cocoa Touch framework is in order, you can check out Amazon.com: Beginning iOS 5 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK (9781430236054): David Mark, Jack Nutting, Jeff LaMarche: Books which is a nice way of getting started with iOS development.

Whether or not you can create an app in a year entirely depends on your skill level, available time and other aspects that are not easy for us to judge or gauge.

I'm a software engineer by trade and at work we write complicated applications in the 6-9 month range working about 40-50 hours a week..

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
Thanks for the tips. I will be learning it in my spare time as obviously the majority of my time will be spent on my degree. I may be back for more help when i actually start coding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012 13" 2.9gz, 8gb ram, 750gb hd
I would also suggest going on iTunes U. There is a full fledged Stanford University course on iOS development that is up on iTunes U. They have the lectures on video and the slides are also available. This is all free. I'm slowly going though it. They have one full lecture on objective C ...and yes, if you know Java and the Model-View-Controller architecture you should have no problem picking it up.

One other thing (more of an FYI) there is a Kickstarter that has a little more than two days to go for a full iOS on-line class...to get the class it is a $25 pledge:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-development-course/posts/295060?ref=activity

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.