iMac Ethermess!

A

axelation

I am running in to a snag when trying to hook up my Blue and White iMac G3 (CRT) to my network. I am running OS X 10.2.8 only, no copy of OS 9 was ever installed. I can pull an IP and get online when hooked straight to the cable modem, but when I try to hook up to my router, I get no link lights, and no IP. I also tried to hook it to my switch, and still no link light, even when the Mac was the only machine on the switch. The router is a Motorola WR850G wireless router. The switch is a Dell Power Connect 2016. I have also tried a Lynksys router. Still no link. Everything is being hooked up directly with Cat. 5. Not with wireless. I don't want to chance buying an airport card and it not work. Anyone know why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Make sure the settings on the iMacs Network Pane are set to "Use DHCP", it may read "Use DHCP and NAT" on 10.2.8, I don't remember. If that fails, you may have to restart the iMac and the router to get the router to push an IP.

OP
A

axelation

I have checked every setting I can think of. All settings are correct. The problem is, that I can't even get a link light on the router or switch. Much less try to pull a valid IP. If I could get a link, I am sure I could pull an IP. Right now, I am having to use a separate modem just for the iMac. It is a Motorola surfboard 5120. Works great, but expensive. Need to get this thing working on my router so that I only need one modem.

Reaction score
Try a crossover cable between the router and the switch. There may a MIDX button or switch on the Ether switch as well for the uplink port, in which case you can use a straight through cable but just use the MIDX switch.

ed724

OP
A

axelation

Already tried a crossover cable, didn't work, and I have no buttons on my switch. Thanks, and I love the Tux picture. The mac is my wife's machine. I fly with the penguin personally. LOL

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have ran into some NIC cards that for some reason will not work with some switches. Not sure why but no link light. All my Macs including a G3 B&W tower and imac 333 all work with all my linksys, Dlink and Netgear switches and routers with switches. You tried an XOver cable so I take it that the cable is fine. Try a different straight through cable and see if it work. How long is the cable length?

OP
A

axelation

I have tried several cables, I even toned and tested the cat 5 cables. All were good to go, I even cut new cables, same thing. No link light. Cable length total is maybe 15 feet including the wall drop and jumper. I have tried all I know how to do. I have tried different routers, switches, nothing. Only thing that Mac will pull an IP on is that cable modem. What makes it compatable and my networking equipment not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.