should i buy an Apple

Reaction score
Hi everyone i'm new to the world of Apple so please bear with me.I am thinking of buying an Apple computer,but i am really stuck on which to get.I am getting into star gazing in a big way and need to know what spec to go for. The Apple will mainly be used to download photos direct from the telescope hopefully wirelessly if that can be done, also i am an avid online gamer will the games i play now on my pc win7 be able to be downloaded and played on the Apple. One of the games i play is legend of mir atlantis (sorry if i have posted in the wrong section).

Thank you in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

A few things to make your search fruitful. Please search this sub-forum and the forums in general for buying advice, we get a lot of these kids of questions and they are answered many times over.

Second, provide a budget that you are trying to stay within, otherwise we'll recommend the moon (i.e., fully loaded Mac Pro that could cost you $8000..:D )

Third, let us know if you want to go with mobility, which will dictate either the iMac/Mac Pro/Mac Mini or the Macbook/Macbook Pro/Macbook Air routes as appropriate..

Lastly (and you've done this a little bit), tell us exactly what you hope to be doing with the computer so that we recommend a machine that fits your feed as opposed to be being overkill (on both your wallet and needs) or totally underwhelming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi everyone i'm new to the world of Apple so please bear with me.I am thinking of buying an Apple computer,but i am really stuck on which to get.I am getting into star gazing in a big way and need to know what spec to go for. The Apple will mainly be used to download photos direct from the telescope hopefully wirelessly if that can be done, also i am an avid online gamer will the games i play now on my pc win7 be able to be downloaded and played on the Apple. One of the games i play is legend of mir atlantis (sorry if i have posted in the wrong section).

Much of this depends on if you want a laptop or desktop. Considering your interest in astronomy, I think you might want to hold off on an iMac. It's only a matter of time before Apple updates the iMac to a Retina Display, and I strongly suspect that you will very greatly appreciate the increased resolution for that hobby.

As for games... that depends on what you mean. You can run Windows as a dual-boot setup, in which case the games you have should work just fine. If you want a counterpart to the game that runs in OS X natively, then if there is a Mac version, you'd likely have to re-buy it. There are exceptions... Blizzard's games are cross-platform and they will let you download the client for either platform. Games on Steam that have a Mac counterpart can be re-downloaded also. There are some games that will play well enough from Windows running in a virtual machine, and others may work using Crossover, an environment that essentially tricks Windows apps/games into thinking they are running under Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.