Help with bootcamp'd XP internet

Reaction score
I am aware this is probably being posted in the wrong section, apologies.

Anyway, Installed XP SP3 onto my mac yesterday, running 10.5.8, installed the drivers from the original install disk that came along with the computer. (mind you that disk is 10.5.4)

All the drivers installed fine, everything went to plan. Until I actually tried to join my wifi network. Takes it a minute to connect, then says "Acquiring Network Address" and doesn't change. Meanwhile plugging in an ethernet didn't help either, as that either says limited or no connectivity, or says it's unplugged. I don't really care if it runs on wireless or wired, I just need help to get it onto the net.

I'm assuming my drivers are outdated along with the install disk I'm using, but to update I need the internet, and to get on the internet I need to update. No idea what to do now, read tons of forum posts on this problem, none seem to resolve the issue.

The options I've tried; Turning off the wireless password (from WPA2 which apparently XP doesn't like), updating drivers from the install disk again in case I missed anything, and countless power cycles.

Now am I correct in assuming I should just get a copy of Win 7 and install it to the partition, or is there a way I can make XP work? Would prefer to use XP as it is more lightweight (this machine is pretty ancient).

By the way, using Airport Extreme in case that's any use.

TL;DR internets not working on XP after installing drivers, what do?

Reaction score
You can configure your network card with a static IP address. All you need is an IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS address. These can be set via the Network Control Panel, adapter card, properties, TCP/IP properties
If you boot to your Mac and run the System Preferences click Network and it will show the values for your active network card. If you are used to using Terminal, you can type 'ifconfig en0' to view details of the ethernet card.

OP
A
Reaction score
Gave XP a static IP, now says connected without an issue, but still no internet access

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.