Pages

Reaction score
If I type a numbered bullet list in Pages then copy the list when I paste it into an email or another document the numbers do not paste I only end up with the list. HELP

M

MacInWin

What mail software? I just tried that from Pages to Mail and it worked just fine. Perhaps it's your email program that isn't cooperating.

OP
D
Reaction score
Numbered Bullets in Pages

What mail software? I just tried that from Pages to Mail and it worked just fine. Perhaps it's your email program that isn't cooperating.

I copied and pasted into Mac Mail, since reading your reply I have tried it 3 times and it still doesn't work. When I Select All and then Copy the numbers do not highlight and then when I paste into Mac Mail only the words copy. I have a MacBook late 2008 Aluminium and I have Mountain Lion installed. Why isn't the numbers copying for me. :(

M

MacInWin

I just tried Select All and then Cut and Paste and it worked perfectly. Yes, the numbers in the list do NOT highlight, but they appear in the text of the message when I pasted it there. I, too, have ML, so it should work. I also tried both Numbered List and Legal and both copied perfectly. I use Mail with pretty much the default preferences. Have you changed them? For example, on the Composing tab I have the Message Format as Rich Text. Is yours the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I just tried the same thing - running a newer mbp with ML recently installed - and the numbers, bullets, and text with several combinations of them all seem to paste just fine. I am not sure what is going on with your paste feature, but why not just use the Share feature on Pages and send the document out intact instead of just copying it? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

OP
D
Reaction score
Pages - Bullet Numbers

Thank you both for your replies.

I have not changed any of the default settings in Mail and I have :Angry:doubled check and I do have Rich Text selected. I have now tried all the different options on Bullet List, I have selected the Bullet List before starting to type and also I have selected the Bullet List after I have typed the list and none of the bullets paste into an email or on another message board where I am also trying to put a recipe list so in this instance the Share feature would not apply. I know how to copy and paste and the words copy and paste ok it is just the numbers or different bullet shapes that will not paste into a new document except another Pages document, it works there. So what can I do next???

select it
copy it
paste it

The above was typed with numbered bullets, lost in space I guess. HELP PLEASE

M

MacInWin

Ah, that's a different problem. In your original post you said it was a problem with Mail, now you say it is a message board (website, I presume). I tried that here in this post, and the numbers did NOT carry over, probably because websites are written in HTML, not Rich Text or any other format. At this point I can't tell you how to proceed, I'm not a website developer. Maybe someone else can chip in to this different problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Pages Bullet Lists

I only just mentioned the message board as an extra, my main problem is it does not work when I copy and paste it into Mail - Apple's Mail program. I am typing in Pages a recipe and numbering steps in the recipe and when I Select it, Copy it, and Paste it into Apple's Mail program the numbers do not show up only the text.:(

M

MacInWin

Have you tried "Share" and Send Via, then select the format of the file to send? Or do you have to send the recipe in plain text in the message, not as an attachment?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes I have sent an email doing Share & PDF document and that works but it still doesn't explain why I can't copy and paste a bullet list typed up in Pages and then send by email, going back to our beginning conversations you said that it worked on your system, am I correct in understanding that? if so why isn't my system working the same way?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just made a small list with bullets and numbers and text and pasted it into a new message in Mail. It was all there and sent and was all there on the receiving end also.

Not sure what is up.

I think this has already been mentioned but I do have Rich Text set in Composing in Mail.

OP
D
Reaction score
Pages, Bullet List

Yes I have Rich Text also

Apple MacBook 13" Aluminum, Late 2008, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Graphics NVIDA GeForce 9400M 256MB, Software OS X 10.8 (12A269) Mountain Lion

I have been using computers since home computers were available.

Could you please post the exact details you follow to type up the list in Pages and exactly what you do to paste it into Apple's Mail program. I know this sounds basic and I do know how to do it but can only think maybe you are doing an extra step to what I am doing. I am perplexed. I really appreciate your help.

M

MacInWin

Open Pages. New Document, Blank Document, click on bullet icon on toolbar, select Numbered List,

At that point the number "1." appeared in blank document,

Type "one", return
type "two", return
Type "three", return

at this point I have three items in my list, numbered 1, 2 and 3, plus a number 4 with nothing beside it.

use the mouse to select all the text (The numbers do NOT highlight).

CMD-c to copy

Open Mail, click on new mail icon on toolbar, click in the body of the message, CMD-v to paste.

What pastes is a list of three numbered items, plus the number 4 with nothing beside it, just like on the Pages file.

I also repeated the process with "Select all", Copy, Paste from the menu bar, same result.

Basically, it works as advertised. Something in your setup has changed that operation. Do you remember making any preferences changes to mail or pages?

OP
D
Reaction score
I have triple checked the settings in Pages & Mail and can not find anything that would effect Bullets Numbering, I have not changed any of my settings in Pages or Mail, I do have Rich Text selected. I just added the List Icon to the Tool Bar and tried it from there and no matter what I do it still doesn't work. After I copied the bullet list from Pages and Pasted it in email and the numbers didn't show I then selected the list and clicked on List and Selected the numbers bullet list and the numbers came up but no way can I type the bullet list in Pages and Copy and Paste it in an email will it work. Maybe Page or Mountain Lion needs to be reinstalled to fix this problem as it is not working the way Apple says it works on my computer. What do you suggest? Thanks for your assistance you have been great trying to help me solve the problem but obviously there is something wrong with Pages or Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
I'm a total Mac newbie but try this.
Open 2 windows.Highlight the text you want to copy .
Hit command "c",go to the site you want to apply to to
and hit command"v",voila,it copies,if I'm just an idiot
and this is no help,please forgive me.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have just solved my problem, I had iWorks 08 installed and I have now updated to iWorks 09 and the bullet numbers list works as it was working for everyone else before.

however lol now I need to ask another question, I have 2 Pages Icons on my bar down the bottom the old 08 and the new 09, when I click on the new 09 Pages a page opens up and the Cursor is on Documents then I have to click on New Document at the bottom right hand side, then a Pages Window opens and I have to click on Blank Document then Choose on the bottom right before the page opens up. I don't think the new Pages 09 is installed over the Pages 08, what do I do to correct this.

M

MacInWin

DELETED: I posted this from my iPad and didn't see dewdee's post about fixing it already.

M

MacInWin

I have just solved my problem, I had iWorks 08 installed and I have now updated to iWorks 09 and the bullet numbers list works as it was working for everyone else before.

however lol now I need to ask another question, I have 2 Pages Icons on my bar down the bottom the old 08 and the new 09, when I click on the new 09 Pages a page opens up and the Cursor is on Documents then I have to click on New Document at the bottom right hand side, then a Pages Window opens and I have to click on Blank Document then Choose on the bottom right before the page opens up. I don't think the new Pages 09 is installed over the Pages 08, what do I do to correct this.
To get rid of an icon on the Dock (what you called the "bar down the bottom") you just click and hold on it and drag it away from the bar a few inches and then drop it. It will go "poof" and disappear. All that you have deleted is the icon, the program is still there. To get rid of the old Pages program, go to the Applications folder and right click on the old version and then select "Move to Trash." Before you empty the trash, make sure the new Pages works and then you can empty the trash.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I did also visit an Apple store today and they also helped me with the Pages 09 as I thought it was opening strangely but his laptop opened Pages the same way as mine so all is OK now. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.