• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Judge Koh asks Apple's attorneys if they're 'smoking crack'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Judge Koh asks Apple's attorneys if they're 'smoking crack' | The Verge

Judge Lucy Koh has been going increasingly terse with both Apple and Samsung as the trial continues, and she just let Apple have it after receiving a 75-page briefing. The document covered 22 potential rebuttal witnesses the company might want to call after Samsung finishes presenting its case. With the jury out of the courtroom, Koh laid into Apple, asking why it would present such a lengthy document "when unless you're smoking crack you know these witnesses aren't going to be called!"

Apple attorney William Lee stepped forward, saying "First, your honor, I'm not smoking crack. I can promise you that." The company's legal team agreed to pare down the document, with attorney Michael Jacobs claiming that the company didn't mean to burden the court — and that it truly believed it would be able to run through all of its witnesses in the time it has remaining. Jacobs also pointed out that some of those addressed in the document were Samsung's witnesses, not Apple's.

As the discussion continued, Koh grew even more frustrated, telling the parties that the conversation would come at the expense of their trial time. "I'm billing time because you all are being unreasonable," she said.

Koh's temper flared earlier this week when Apple said it wanted to bring in designer Susan Kare for a round of rebuttal testimony — but that due to family matters Kare wouldn't be able to attend until Monday. After a round of discussion, Koh flatly refused, saying that unless Kare could testify this week, she wouldn't be returning to the courtroom at all.

One thing is clear: Judge Koh wants this trial done on schedule, and will not hold back in making sure it happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What a tender, compassionate soul Judge Koh must be.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And on and on we go...... The lawyers getting richer and you and I wind up paying their salaries. Again, I think Shakespeare had the right idea. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think she might be the one smoking. Let Apple present any witness they have, it's their time, and you are the darn judge presiding over the time allotted for them! What's the point of having good lawyering skills if the judge can't take things seriously? I guess it must've been that time of month for her. I have a feeling someone's going to end up wronged in this trial due to an incompetent judge who can't stand doing her job.

OP
Discerptor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I guess it must've been that time of month for her.
Your level of sexism is a truly wondrous thing to behold.

I was just amused that a lawyer's opening sentence when addressing a judge would ever have to be, "First, your honor, I'm not smoking crack."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.