Hiding Programs To Other Users

SJJ

Reaction score
So I bought my Mac as a half personal, half business use.

I've got my main personal account with all my games etc, but I'd like to make it (if possible) on my business user so that only programs I need for business are visible.

This is also beneficial if a friend/business partner needs to use the Mac and can't neccessarily access all my personal folders, and all games and non-related work things are hidden so as to keep it work orientated and very clean.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can do that with separate accounts. Install the games or whatever else you use personally only to your account. Install the other apps that you use for work either for everyone to use or to just an account setup for business use. Or, just setup the guest account for your business associates to use and limit it to only those applications you allow them access to.

OP
S

SJJ

Reaction score
You can do that with separate accounts. Install the games or whatever else you use personally only to your account. Install the other apps that you use for work either for everyone to use or to just an account setup for business use. Or, just setup the guest account for your business associates to use and limit it to only those applications you allow them access to.

Thanks for the reply!

I deleted an old game as a test, and it deleted it from both the business account (the one I was logged in to), and my personal account which I then logged back in to.

How do I uninstall them from just the business account and, in future, how do I install a program/app to just one account/both accounts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably the easiest way is to use the Parental controls in System Preferences, Parental Controls. Give that a try first. You can always revert back if it doesn't work well enough for your purposes.

There is also the more technical way which unless you have some experience working with the Unix file system might be over kill. Anyway, have a look here and see if you can follow along: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Wait. Unless I'm missing something...

Applications you want all accounts to have access to: Place in /Applications folder
Applications you only want a particular User ("Guest") to have access to: Place in Users/Guest/Applications

This is what post #2 advised, although in different terms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.