• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OWC Announces 480GB SSD for Retina MBPs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OWC didn't waste any time. Available later this month, OWC has announced a 480 GB Mercury Aura Pro SSD designed for the new Retina MacBook Pro. A bonus if you order before September 30th, you'll get a USB 3.0 enclosure for your factory SSD so you can use it as an external.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess if you own a Retina and have the bucks the $580.00 upgrade will be worth it..... ;P

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
AnandTech - OWC Announces 480GB SSD Upgrade for MacBook Pro with Retina Display

I would have almost bet on OWC coming out with this. Good going OWC!

Anand will be doing a full out review on the drive so it will be worth watching his page. His reviews are First Rate! It will be interesting to see if it beats the Apple Shipped solutions. I have a gut feeling knowing OWC that it will!

I recall Anand saying in a previous review of the new Retina's that he doubts any third party SSD would make a difference speed wise. I can't remember what his reasoning was exactly. Something to do with how the Samsung drives being fine tuned and such. I'm personally appalled at how expensive SSD's still are, considering how much more saturated the marked is with them right now vs a couple of years ago.

Doug

OP
Stretch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recall Anand saying in a previous review of the new Retina's that he doubts any third party SSD would make a difference speed wise. I can't remember what his reasoning was exactly. Something to do with how the Samsung drives being fine tuned and such. I'm personally appalled at how expensive SSD's still are, considering how much more saturated the marked is with them right now vs a couple of years ago.

Doug

They've come down some. I think I paid almost $120 for my 60GB SSD last year, now I can get a 120GB drive for that price.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well that was quick. One less reason to not buy a rMBP. Now, if only someone could figure out a workaround for the soldered-in RAM and glued-in battery.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well that was quick. One less reason to not buy a rMBP. Now, if only someone could figure out a workaround for the soldered-in RAM and glued-in battery.

Come on Chris, you know you can unsolder that RAM! I wish you could! I would hire you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Technically, anything soldered can be unsoldered. It's not impossible, but I think the term is "user hateful".

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug, Yes, I can get any part out but after that lets see you solder it back. They are machine soldered. Pins are micro miniature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug, Yes, I can get any part out but after that lets see you solder it back. They are machine soldered. Pins are micro miniature.

What.. you don't have a pin press soldering machine at your house? Pfff.. Amateur! :Angry-Tongue:

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What.. you don't have a pin press soldering machine at your house? Pfff.. Amateur! :Angry-Tongue:

Doug

Want one? I have many! Yeah right! :D

A few years ago before my eyes started to loose some vision, I could find hairline cracks in PCB's and bridge the small traces without issue! Jaws used to drop but alas, I can't do that anymore. You have to see to be able to do that kind of work! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I knew it was going to happen. It was just a matter of time. I would actually prefer to go the OWC route than buying the build-option from Apple. This way, you get two sad-blades for the price of one blade upgrade from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Anyone purchase this yet for their rMBP? I'm in the market for a new MBP and am wondering if there is any noticeable performance difference between OWC's 480, and Apple's 512gb ssd. For ~$500 extra, I would rather get the stock Apple rMBP with 256gb, and add the OWC ssd, which gives me 736gb of usable(though it's actually 768gb), but not if there is a performance price to pay.

OP
Stretch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the OWC drive was noticeably faster than the stock Apple drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.