• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

idvd 5 vs. idvd 4

B

billsey1

hi, i am newly working with idvd 5 on a powerbook g4 and have worked with idvd 4 on my desktop g4. Is it true to say that idvd 5 renders the menus and movies every time you burn the disk (if you don't do it continuously) where idvd 4 somehow saves those settings, saving a bunch of time?

I mean, the new idvd has been taking 4 hours to write and burn dvds!!!! this is unreal to me - where I have been burning dvds (and yes, I realize I was working on a faster machine) that took under 1 hour. It didn't go through every menu and process every transition in the same way that idvd 5 seems to do.

can someone set me straight or shed some light? is there some setting i can change? or should i go back to idvd 4????

thanks much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Encoding the menus of a DVD is a very processor intensive process and you will see huge differences when going between those two computers. iDVD 4 & 5 render every frame of the menu (30 per second) before burning the DVD.

iDVD 5 has the option of making a disk image of your movie so that you can burn as many times as you want without having to encode each time. Simply hit "Shift+Command+R" to save as a disk image. I believe iDVD 4 simply gave a prompt saying "Would you like to burn another DVD?" (or something like that).

So, the time difference you're seeing in the two machines should be expected. Unless your PowerMac has a slower processor than your Powerbook...

I think you should try iDVD 5 on your PowerMac (if possible) and see if it takes the same amount of time to burn a disk. If it does then I would suggest going back to iDVD 4 if you feel it performs better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.