• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

One for old-school Mac hardware fans (& space enthusiasts)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's actually pretty cool to know. Just goes to show that you don't need a whole lot of power to do such great things.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With many of these government/NASA space projects...they say that the design/budgeting/building many times starts somewhere in the neighborhood of 10+ years BEFORE the vehicle is actually launched.

I'm guessing that when this project was started...the designers were probably working with what the current technology was 10-12+ years ago...plus they are not going to buy the most up-to-date technology at that time (expensive)...so they probably worked with even slightly older technology to save some money.

I think that systems that are in orbit (like the Hubble space telescope)...because they are accessible...are upgradeable. And I know that the Hubble telescope has had various upgrades/repairs over the years.

Unfortunately...something sitting on the surface of Mars is hard to upgrade!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes it is a G3 processor that's is running Curiosity.

So I guess it wont be able to run Mountain Lion

Seriously though, its a radiation hardened version of the G3, often used for space projects like probes and satellites. I guess, being a simpler chip, with older 90 nm technology and a very low power consumption, there is less to go wrong in the harsh environment in space and on Mars. They could have used a i7 chip, but its probably a whole lot more susceptible to radiation damage.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If they need a few spare processors for the next mission I've got a couple of clamshell iBooks taking up space. I might even have the processor upgrade I put in my B&W G3 before it died.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.