Stupid migration assistant mistake

Reaction score
Just purchased my first Mac computer after many years of pc's. I did the initial setup without migrating anything from my old system. The one thing I mistakenly did was set up my initial user name differently than I had on my old system. After I ran the Migration assistant I know have three different users, two for me and one for my wife. Is there any way I can clean this up and resolve this? Thanks for you help, Jim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read the following Apple KB article regarding the Windows Migration Assistant first.

You can remove one of those accounts that you do not need - assuming you wish to keep one account for yourself and one for the wife. Log on to your administrator account and move all data you wish to keep into your account and then you can remove the extra account. But first make sure everything is working for your account and for your wife's account.

System Preferences, Users & Groups. Click on the small lock at the bottom of the window and enter your admin password. The lock will open. Now you can add or remove accounts in the above box by pressing on the small minus or plus sign. After you finish, exit System Preferences and reboot.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I can see from your directions how I can delete the account but I do not see how to move the files I would like to keep. I am having a serious mental block with this from being used to MS windows for some reason.

OP
R
Reaction score
I searched this forum and found this: LINK. Search is your friend.
Thanks for the link, Apple Care tech helped me straighten this out. Best customer service I have ever received from any computer company in my life ! Transfered me to their resident iPhoto tech who showed me a bunch of things about iPhoto while I was on the line and sent me a link for free classes. Great bunch of folks here and great tech support, I should have made the switch long ago! Thanks again, Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.