iBook or Powerbook

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a problem in decision making. Im getting my first mac with a distance-ed grant which i get $3000AU. I have to get a laptop for school. i have 3 choices, 12inch -14inch iBook or the 12inch powerbook. I wont be doing anything powerful mainly just basic things for school. should i go with the bigger ibook or go all out with a smaller powerbook.
any help would be much appreciated.
millsy1.0
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Wait until January, and see the models that are around then. If it's still the same, go with the PB. It weighs less, has a better video card, and will have a sharper picture because it's a smaller screen at the same resolution. While you can't upgrade the RAM as much on the PB, the faster hard drive and proc. will still make it faster than the iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Meyvn said:
Wait until January, and see the models that are around then. If it's still the same, go with the PB. It weighs less, has a better video card, and will have a sharper picture because it's a smaller screen at the same resolution. While you can't upgrade the RAM as much on the PB, the faster hard drive and proc. will still make it faster than the iBook.

You are correct in the points you have made here but if it is just purely for using microsoft office type apps, surfing the net, email, storing music and photos etc then the ibook will do just fine for that purpose and there could be some cash left around for a nice new video ipod or spent on a nice external HD and some additional ram.

The difference in price between the ibook 14" and PB 12" wont be that noticeable to someone who needs basic computing use. I guess its down to personal preference and really only the individual can decide..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would go with the 14". everything is a little bit bigger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.