icons and names in application launcher

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MBP running Mountain Lion. Somehow I managed to change some application names in Application Launcher. I think it may have been when I installed cheetsheat, but I am not really sure. The utilities application folder in the launcher is now "other" and there is an "other 2". In addition, the messages icon is now called iChat. The icons for iChat, Contacts,and "Install OSX Mountain Lion" are now a big question mark.

I assume there is a way to change these back that I just haven't found yet. How do you edit what is in the application launcher?

Thanks,
Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The application launcher ("Launchpad") derives its names from the applications themselves. Check your application folder to see if all your applications are correctly named. If any have been changed from their original designation that will cause problems. You need to change them back to the original name.

To rename them back the way they were before, open your Applications folder and find the applications that have been named incorrectly. Hold down your option key and click once on the application name, it should then be highlighted and can be renamed.

OP
M
Reaction score
No, the Applications folder had the correct names thank God! I found out I could remove some things from the launch pad by holding the option key. When that is done, all the icons giggle, and some have a X allowing you to remove them. The ones with the question mark didn't really launch anything, so I removed them. I was able to rename the "other" container back to "Utilities" by opening it, clicking on the name and overtype the name. There is no "Messages" entry in the launch pad and I haven't figured out how to add it. There isn't a contacts entry either, but that is on the dock, so I can launch it from there.

Thanks for the reply.
Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's fine. If the names were correct in the Applications folder you used the correct procedure for removing the extras. The Launchpad icons now work similar to the way they do for the iPad and iPhone. (iOS style)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.