Thumb drive and version storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I have been teaching for many years and have a ton of resources on a couple of thumb drives. While I am fairly new to macs, I do love the version feature that comes with Pages and other programs. As I transition my files from PC use to Mac use I noticed that after I had saved a couple of files on the thumb drives that as I went to exit Pages it pops up a message that the volume "does not support permanent version storage."

I have 8 and 16 G thumb drives and my question is, would there be a way to format them so that they would support version storage? I have plenty of room on my mbp but for most of my school files I find it more effective to have most of them on a thumb drive to keep them portable between my laptop and school computers when I need to share files/resources.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format are you currently using on the flash drives? I suspect they might be formatted as FAT-32? You may have to format them as HFS+.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I normally just use a Lexar USB with whatever format they come with out of the package. I have never tried to reformat a thumb drive before. If the drive is formatted would it alter its functionality on a windows system? Drive formats are not a topic I am overly familiar with. I use the drives to move files between platforms at school.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Flash drives are usually formatted to FAT-32 from the factory as that file system is compatible with Windows, OS X, and Linux. Nowadays, most large external hard drives are formatted to NTFS for Windows use. HFS+ and NTFS are journaled file systems whereas FAT-32 is not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.