• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is this? I don't even...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
This is probably one of the strangest "reviews" I've seen in a while; a guy demonstrating his newly-acquired four year old (albeit refurbed) MacBook Pro, running eleven year old Windows XP:

Review of a 2008 MacBook Pro running Windows XP Pro - No Retina Display - YouTube

Also, is it just me, or does this sound like flamebait...
I've completely removed the Mac operating system, and I've put Windows XP on this laptop! And you say "Well, gee, that kinda defeats the who purpose of having an Apple, doesn't it?!"
...like he's actively trying to get a rise out of any Mac users watching? :Confused:

Reaction score
Some people have too much time on their hands. You know, no job, no girlfriend/wife, no money, no hobbies beyond computers, etc.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Some people have too much time on their hands. You know, no job, no girlfriend/wife, no money, no hobbies beyond computers, etc.
Well, that's quite the broad generalization and doesn't take into account what he said - if you're not an Apple user, using OS X serves no purpose and by putting Windows on it, you've made it fit your needs. True, Macs are built to run OS X but for all we know, this machine was given to him or proved to be the best option when it came to purchasing it (I didn't watch the whole thing so he may have addressed this).

So, if I put Linux on my old MB that is now a media server instead of OS X, do I have too much time on my hands or, perhaps, is it possible that I've found something that better fits my needs?

Reaction score
He actually bought the MBP and put Windows on it because it's an affordable laptop with a backlit keyboard.
And the guy has a corporate license for Symantec EndPoint Protection, which leads me to believe he does have a job.

I think he has a valid point doing this.

Ibanezi

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Oh, I was never criticising his choice to use Windows by virtue of preference. I am an example of someone sort-of like him; I do want a Mac - both for OS X and the hardware build quality - but I need Windows (much of the software I require both for my degree and the career that will follow-on from it is still Windows-only; and also I still have installation disks/files for the Windows versions of a lot of expensive apps, meaning it would work-out cheaper for me to buy one copy of Windows - an OS I am still happy to use, even if I prefer OS X in most regards - than buy all new versions of said software for OS X); so I intend to get a MBP once I can finally afford one and dual-boot it.

I realise now I never made the point of my quoting the part of the video I set the link for clear; I was just thinking it kind of sounded like flamebait, like he was trying to goad Mac users into raging about his "blasphemous" act.

Reaction score
I realise now I never made the point of my quoting the part of the video I set the link for clear; I was just thinking it kind of sounded like flamebait, like he was trying to goad Mac users into raging about his "blasphemous" act.
FWIW, my criticism was concerning running an 11 year old OS - regardless of the hardware it was being run on. That's the Mac equivalent of running MacOS X v.10.0. NOOOOOOOOO THANKS!

Reaction score
Might as well just buy an HP Envy if you are going to shell out the cash for a Mac and not use OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.