Organizing PhotoStream

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 15"
Is there any way to batch photos in Photo Stream? It seems to be organizing them by picture letters and numbers and I cannot seem to rearrange them, and I do not want to retitle all the pictures. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 15"
I think you are misinterpreting what Photo Stream is and what purpose it serves. The short answer to your question is no. The real answer can probably be found here:

iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

Maybe I don't understand Photostream, but it seems like it is just a simple way to transfer pictures between devices, in my case a MBP and an IPad. The pictures get to the IPad fine, but what people do with them from there? I can view them fine, but I am stuck with viewing them in the order the are n in Photostream. What am I missing here?

C

chas_m

Maybe I don't understand Photostream, but it seems like it is just a simple way to transfer pictures between devices, in my case a MBP and an IPad.

No, that's not what it is for. Think of it more as like a smart album in iPhoto that can send to other devices, and is set to "show me all pictures for the last 30 days or 1000 pictures (whichever comes first) in chronological order."

If you want to have customized albums on your iPad, you do that on your Mac and then sync those albums to the iPad through iTunes. Nothing at all to do with Photo Stream.

You certain CAN use Photo Stream as the sole way of putting photos on your devices (temporarily) -- but they'll be gone in 30 days or after you've shot 1000 pics, whichever comes first, unless you move them into an event or album. The idea here is to have an auto-sync'd gallery of your most recent pictures available all the time, effortlessly. It's not meant to be highly editable or customizable. It's a stream of recent pictures. That's it.

(on your Mac, iPhoto stores each month's Photo Stream as an Event, so you don't lose the pictures.)

The pictures get to the IPad fine, but what people do with them from there? I can view them fine, but I am stuck with viewing them in the order the are n in Photostream. What am I missing here?

Among other things, I think you're missing the concept of pinching. On my iPad, the photos in Photo Stream are in chronological order, but I can view them any way I want -- by pinching to get back to the group and then selecting another photo to view.

If I want the pictures on my iPad permanently, and in a custom order, then I make an album. You can do this with iPhoto for iOS ($5). As to what else you can do with photos in Photo Stream, most photo-editing programs on the iPad support Photo Stream.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.