Moving files from MAC to MP3 Player

Reaction score
I use itunes to download podcasts and I play them on a generic MP3 player (non apple). Everything works, but I have a bunch of additional files that start out ._abcxyx.MP3 where abcxyz is the podcast name. I see them in Windows and on the display for my player. I also see .trashes and another .abcxyz file I don't recal. What are these files and how do I stop their creation? I can delete them in Windows, but why then have a MAC. I am technical and have several PC's. I am just getting used to the MAC way. THANKS!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA 2011, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB
I am getting the same thing on my Android Razr Maxx with mp3 & m4a files transferred from my MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
This should do the trick:

Show hidden files Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion

They're perfectly normal hidden files, it's just due to the differences between how Windows & OS X do things that you can see them in Explorer but not Finder. Rather than the over-complicated system Windows employs (which uses some kind of registry-based flagging system, hence why they can be seen on a Mac) OS X automatically recognises a file or folder with a name starting with "._" as being hidden; similar to how Mac apps are literally just folders with ".app" at the end of the name, whereas Windows executables are actually single files packed in an awkwardly inaccessible way (hence why there's no "View Contents" option for EXEs in Explorer like there is for APPs in Finder).

In other words, hidden files are necessary, and you can't stop their creation; but you can make them visible in OS X, so you can delete them before disconnecting your MP3 player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.