reviving the macbookpro

Reaction score
Hi Anyone

To start off, I want to tell anyone reading this I am not too computer savvy. For major problems with computers (especially hardware) I usually just ask people who I know are better at this stuff.

This being said, a giant water bubble in my ceiling formed above my macbook about a week or so ago, drenching it in water for I don't how long. I unplugged it and let it sit for several days (someone told me sometimes computers can survive water damage if you just let it dry out), and plugged it in and it's running.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious damage expect it's making a whirring sound when running. The computer is three years old.

My questions are:

Is there a possibility of this being a hazard and should I get rid of it?
Should I replace the hard drive?
Will it burn out in a few weeks from damage and should I start shopping around?
Is there anyway to stop the whirring sound and maybe prevent burnout?
Should I reinstall the operating system?

Any constructive suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is the sound coming from the hard disk, or is it more constant like the fans?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's constant, maybe it's more from the lower left corner by the powerplug.

Great question from "louishen" regarding the fans!!:)

The sound you hear could be coming from the fan/fans. The fan(s) are usually located in that area. The fan(s) could be dirty...or since water was spilled on this computer...water may have gotten into the fan bearings...some rust may have formed on the bearings...and this could be causing a "weird" noise.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Great question from "louishen" regarding the fans!!:)

The sound you hear could be coming from the fan/fans. The fan(s) are usually located in that area. The fan(s) could be dirty...or since water was spilled on this computer...water may have gotten into the fan bearings...some rust may have formed on the bearings...and this could be causing a "weird" noise.

- Nick

Hi Anyone

To start off, I want to tell anyone reading this I am not too computer savvy. For major problems with computers (especially hardware) I usually just ask people who I know are better at this stuff.

This being said, a giant water bubble in my ceiling formed above my macbook about a week or so ago, drenching it in water for I don't how long. I unplugged it and let it sit for several days (someone told me sometimes computers can survive water damage if you just let it dry out), and plugged it in and it's running.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious damage expect it's making a whirring sound when running. The computer is three years old.

My questions are:

Is there a possibility of this being a hazard and should I get rid of it?
Should I replace the hard drive?
Will it burn out in a few weeks from damage and should I start shopping around?
Is there anyway to stop the whirring sound and maybe prevent burnout?
Should I reinstall the operating system?

Any constructive suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! After awhile, the whirring/humming stopped, but now the macbook won't turn off. The only way to get it to turn off is to unplug the power source.
Whenever I try to shut it down through the menu, it shuts down but powers up as soon
as it powers down, when pushing the power button there is no response at all. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas sounds like water has done its damage and things will progressively worsen. Any chance this was covered by your household and/or contents insurance?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the feedback! After awhile, the whirring/humming stopped, but now the macbook won't turn off. The only way to get it to turn off is to unplug the power source.
Whenever I try to shut it down through the menu, it shuts down but powers up as soon
as it powers down, when pushing the power button there is no response at all. Any thoughts?

As Harry mentioned. Water can do unexpected things. When a spill occurs...you really never know exactly every crack & crevice the water got into.

The power problem you described above...is really a VERY unusual circumstance...and hardly (if ever) happens with a fully operational & normal Apple laptop.

What you mentioned in your original post..."a giant water bubble in my ceiling formed above my macbook about a week or so ago, drenching it in water for I don't how long"...

Is really a recipe for problems. A laptop computer just doesn't get drenched with water for an unknown period of time...and has no resulting problems!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.