Time Machine Backup

Reaction score
Hi All: I've checked back in the Hangout posts, and don't see the same problem listed. I have installed Office Mac 2011 within the last week. Since then, my Time Machine seems to have stopped, and I continue to get the following message: "The backup disk image “/Volumes/Time Capsule/Geri Soloman’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle” is already in use."

I have absolutely no idea what this means, and don't know how to fix it. Is there someone who could help me out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Installing Office 2011 should not have done anything to effect Time Machine. Did you make any other changes when you removed the trial version of Office 2011 and did you make sure to only remove those items designated by Microsoft?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi chscag: I only removed those items designated by Microsoft, and double-checked each time I removed anything.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sometimes the best thing to do when the sparsebundle either becomes corrupt or TM itself is confused, is to delete everything off the external backup drive and start over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Just ran into this same issue. Plus all the web seemed to have old information. Basically if you open Airport Utility (The latest version) - go to your time capsule - go to the disks tab - then uncheck share disks and hit apply. The time capsule will reboot. You can go back and re-check share disks - and everything should start working again.
osx - Disconnecting disks from Airport Extreme - Ask Different

Reaction score
I had to take my mac in for service and they ended up putting in a new logic board. I have since gotten my mac back but I am receiving this message when I run a backup:
Would you like this computer to inherit the backup history from “Kiran’s MacBook Pro” on the “Data” backup disk?
The backup was created on a different computer. If you inherit this backup, it can no longer be used by the original computer.
Do I: "Don't Back Up Now" , "Create New Backup" or "Inherit Back Up History"

Since my computer is the original one, will I lose all my backups if I inherit the back up history?
Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You are seeing this message due to the change in the logic board. As far as Time Machine's tracking system is concerned this is a new computer.

If I am understanding your situation correctly you will want to let Time Machine inherit the existing backup. Inheriting Your Backup History. This link applies to Lion but AFAIK also works with Mountain Lion. It is a much nicer procedure than what what previous versions required when the logic board was replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.