Gettin A Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
I am getting a mini probably in a month or two. I am saving up for just a mini, No bells or whistles. Any advice for me?(Im a windows guy)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Congrats on the pending purchase.
My suggestions would be to take the time to SEARCH the Forums for answers to your questions, should you have any. Even if you think that it hasn't been asked before, I assure you, it HAS been. Do a search and you will find the answers you seek.

That and take some time to use a Mac BEFORE you actually buy one.
Also, keep your old PC, even if you think you would never use it again. You will, eventually.

OP
macmini3399
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thank you for the info, We use ibooks and emacs at my school so i know some things about a mac.

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
If you're using it to replace a desktop, it might not be fast enough for you depending on your tasks.

What would you like to know about the mini though ?

OP
macmini3399
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right now I am using a AMD 1190(Home Built). It is slow. All I do Is surf the web. I got a collection of pictures on a cd(300MB). I want to know how it can be so small and still work great.

F

fyulaba

I just switched from Windows XP to Mac by buying a Mac Mini and I'm happy! It's been a bit of a struggle (IE: I'm currently visiting the forums to try and figure how to get the Photoshop CS2 Tryout unistalled properly) but ultimately, I've really enjoyed it.

So far, the biggest challenge has been getting used to command + z,x,c,v for cut,undo,copy,paste as the command key is in a different place than the windows alt key.

Another thing was I ran out of USB ports pretty fast. That's were the bluetooth comes in though. I'm waiting until I can afford a blue tooth keyboard and mouse. Hardware is a bit pricey for Mac.

As for power I've had no problems yet. I've had photoshop, flash, entourage, safari and itunes all going at the same time with no problems.

It's so quiet too! Of course when the fan kicks in it gets a bit louder but it's way more quite then my PC was.

As far as a guy that went from PC (Windows for years) to a Mac, it was a nice transition and aside from a few episodes of separation anxiety where I've thought, "Oh crap! What have I done?!?!" I'm really happy! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
When i switched over, it was years since i touched an apple...last one i used was in Elementary school on an APPLE II. hated it! But using the Mac and MAC OS...is great and simple. Glad you made a good choice. hope you enjoy the Computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
maz94protege said:
When i switched over, it was years since i touched an apple...last one i used was in Elementary school on an APPLE II. hated it!
Oregon trail and NUMBER MUNCHERS!!!

H

HazelGirl

i just got a Mac mini wtih no bells and whistles and am in love...it works great and its so easy to use. its so simple at itmes that it leaves me wondering "is that ALL i have to do?" . Even networking was a cinch...at least on the Mac side of it...of course WIndows was being difficult, but I did finally get it hooked up.

My windows PC is now almost unusable and I will hae to reinstall the OS on it...but I have this lovely little fella in the meantime. also my windows laptop is not in the best shape either...at any rate, i plan to switch ocmpletely to Mac eventually, but for now, I am using the Mini as a transitional machine to get a feel for the OS. I LOVE IT and you will too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz G4 Processor, 80 GB HD, Radeon 9600 graphics card
I got a mini a almost a week ago. I love it. It's a bit of getting used too, not the commands so much just the difference from windows. It's a good change though. But I do have a question. Is there any free program for macs that are like Microsoft word?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Hey, welcome to MF,
Use the search forum function to start off with as most newbie questions have been answered. You will find that there are a lot of options available to you in terms of finding alternative programs, whether it be Word Processing or Internet Utilities.

Apple Works was packaged with your mini, which is Apples' own version of Office and if you don't like that then search the forums and having just done that, I found the following wording from a thread:

Free options also exist such as Open Office.org and Neo Office/J (a native Mac OS X version of Open Office) for you also to try. If you want to get real hardcore for typing articles, reports, studies, essays and books, you can get deep down and dirty with TeX/LaTeX -- which are also well supported on Mac OS X.

So welcome to the forum and if we can be of further assistance, just ask..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.