Got my new iMac...

Reaction score
...and boy am I LOST with this thing. I don't know what the **** I'm doing with a Mac!! LOL. It's beautiful and everything, but I'm such a noob, I don't know how to do anything. I can't even install any software because I'm supposed to have a password. I never made one. I don't know what to do. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
try just hitting enter when it asks you for one. once you start using it it will become easy. it is much simpler than windows. if just hitting enter doesnt work you may have to reset the password. this is done some how with the install disks. i am not sure how though. good luck to you and congratulations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ripfrankwhite said:
I dont' know how to boot from the disc. Anyone know how?
Put the disc in the drive and reboot the computer while holding down the "C" key.
And I am not trying to sound like a nag or anything...but THIS is the perfect example of why people thinking about buying a Mac...or any computer for that matter...should ask questions, do plenty of research and info gathering BEFORE they bring that new Mac home. No, you are not going to learn all you need to know prior to getting it home...but at least you wouldn't feel as lost as you seem to feel now.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
Ive been researching Macs since they released the Rev A iMac G5. You don't know what youre talking about. The best learning comes from "hands on" experience. Not from reading about them in forums. Besides, I figured it out already and if you don't wanna be a nag, then don't be. Hop down off your high horse professor.

Anyway..on a more peaceful note, I do appreciate the response, but your lecturing is not only unnecessary, but also rude.

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
How did you not set a password ? o_O

Is this your first unix/linux-esque experience ?

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
BoA said:
How did you not set a password ? o_O

Is this your first unix/linux-esque experience ?

I was never prompted to enter a password during setup. I've read in other forums that the same thing happened to other users. It had a simple solution tho.

Yes, this is my first experience.

F

ForeverG5

Congratulations on your new iMac, even though you don't know how to work it. :D When you start to get the hang of it, you will love it! If you have specific questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else here. Everyone is very nice. Have fun with your new toy! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.