Moving photos from one partition to another

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, bought February 2012
In my first post I mentioned that I had partitioned my HD and left the original OS (Lion) on one half and installed ML on the other half. Now that I'm sure everything went OK in the install and I'm happy with ML, I'd like to move my photos from the Lion partition IPhoto to the ML partition IPhoto.

Here's what I think I tried to do and it didn't work for me. I opened IPhoto in ML and selected "import file" (or whatever it says, my MacBook Pro is not with me now) and then selected the Lion partition drive, and I don't remember for sure but believe I selected Finder, then ????, and when that opened up, everything is grayed out so I can't select anything, IPhoto included.

I have about 10 gb of photos that will need to be imported / moved. I know I could copy them to a thumb drive but hope there is a better way. Is there?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't want to be doing an import.

Assuming you have no photos in iPhoto on ML - make sure iPhoto is closed completely. Go to the Pictures folder and delete the iPhoto Library

Now copy the whole iPhoto Library file from the PIctures folder on the Lion Partition to the Pictures folder on the Mountain Lion partition.

OP
Bamabww
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming you have no photos in iPhoto on ML - make sure iPhoto is closed completely. Go to the Pictures folder and delete the iPhoto Library

Now copy the whole iPhoto Library file from the PIctures folder on the Lion Partition to the Pictures folder on the Mountain Lion partition.

You are correct, I have no photos in IPhoto on ML. Thanks very much. I'll try that asap.

OP
Bamabww
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are correct, I have no photos in IPhoto on ML. Thanks very much. I'll try that asap.
That worked great. Thanks very much for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.