Which Windows 7 Do I Need?

Reaction score
Hello there!
I want to install Windows 7 on my iMac via Bootcamp (Not Parallels, Crossover, etc) but after doing some research I'm really confused about what copy of Windows I should buy. Like, can I install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on my machine? What even is an OEM copy?! And what's the difference between a 32-bit version and 64-bit version of the OS? I think it has something to do with how the CPU handles RAM but I'm still none the wiser as to which one I should get for my mac!
I know I sound clueless but I've only been on the mac for a couple of months now and I'm still pretty tied to the Windows OS so being able to alternate between OSX and Windows is ideal for me right now. I will post my system specs for you, I only got the computer like February this year:

Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can use an OEM version however it is then tied to that one machine which can be a problem if you purchase another Mac and want Windows 7 on it. Install the 64bit version as it will read all the memory you have installed. A 32bit install is tied to about 2GB. Games that are 32bit will run under the 64bit install.

Also consider upgrading the memory. Same model as your 12GB made a huge difference.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you harryb2448!
I will have to start saving before I think about upgrading my RAM but I will bear it in mind!

OP
C
Reaction score
Also, what does 'DSP OEI (PC)' mean written in the title for windows 7 on Amazon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Ram is pretty cheap if you don't buy it from Apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.