Keeping two filing systems in sync

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have used Macs for about 25 years, but I am a user with simple needs. My question is as follows:

I have two Macs and want to keep the files on both of them more or less in sync with each other. Not hourly or daily but every month or so. I do not believe in cloud storage as I prefer to keep my content loaded on my own systems in my own house. I am looking for an application which will compare two MAC filing systems and identify which files in each filing system are not on the other. Then allow me to transfer some or all of the missing files from the first system to the second. I have maintained the same directory structure and naming conventions on both Macs so the comparison exercise should be quite simple. I also have WIFI at home so in theory I could move the files that way.

Any tips or suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

Better, easier solution: Chronosync.

Full disclosure: I know these guys. But their reputation is stellar without any help from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I should mention that you can use cron or calendar to setup syncing at certain times.
How to Backup Your Mac Using Rsync | Macinstruct
Definitely isn't as pretty as a $40 GUI tool but is still quite functional and cron and rsync have been around since time immemorial and they do what they do well.

I am using rsync to sync my MBA and my MBP documents - works well for keeping everything up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Bit of a late post, but I'd recommend Super-Flexible.

Not too expensive ($34.90) and gives you quite a bit of flexibility. Also cross-platform if the need ever arises.

I'm currently using it to Sync between 2 Macs and a Windows PC, as well as a USB external disk and some Virtual Machines.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your tips. I got a bit distracted back there and haven't done any of this. Now I will review each of your suggestions and decide what to do.

M

MacInWin

Since you refreshed it, I also use Chronosync and can recommend it highly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.