mac mail and Mountain Lion

C

chas_m

Should be pretty straightforward:

1. In Mail, go into the program's preferences, and under Accounts click on the TINY plus button you'll see under the column of accounts.

2. Plug in the new credentials for the new email account.

3. Test the new account to see if it is working properly.

4. If you're not keeping the old account, you can delete it by going back to the accounts preferences and selecting the old account and pressing the tiny minus key. You'll be asked to confirm. Be aware that all your old email may disappear if you delete the account, so you may want to archive messages you want to keep.

5. If you're not deleting the old account, just drag it down under the new account to make the new account primary and the old account secondary, IIRC.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Chas.,

I've managed to get my account into Mail, but I can't seem to put them in order so that my main e-mail address is at the top. iCloud is firmly fixed there and if I send a quick e-mail without checking it is sent from my iCloud account. In previous versions it was easy to move the accounts open down and select their prominence, with mountain lion I don't seem to be able to do it.

C

chas_m

I only use one email account in Mail so I can't test this, but in the "composing" preferences of mail you can set which account should be the default, including the option for whatever mailbox is selected.

Reaction score
I'm new and not sure how to reply. I don't see a reply button

Can anyone tell me how to change my default mail account in Mountain Lion please?

Anyway, I would love an answer to this question too! I can't seem to change the order of my addresses in Mountain Lion Mail.. this sucks! iCloud is firmly ensconced at the top.. boo

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Chas.,
You can only change the account you are on in the "composing" preference not the default. When you go to post your next mail it reverts back to iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I have four accounts as per screen shot (1) and you can see that lavabit is my designated /default account.

Thus the order you see them in the screen shot (1) is the order they appear in the Apple mail side bar.Screen shot (2)

Did this with SL as chas_m described, and it has stayed this way through Lion and now ML.

mail.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 17.28.13.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Brilliant!! That's done it. Thanks very much. Sorry I didn't understand what you were saying Chas.

C

chas_m

No worries, I should have included a pic like clever oldscribe did. Glad it worked!

Reaction score
MLion Solve

There is a way to change default composing account ... see attached scren grab from pref pane - choose Composing

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 9.54.56 AM.jpg

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
There is a way to change default composing account ... see attached scren grab from pref pane - choose Composing

Ok for the life of me I cant find these screenshots you guys are talking about, be gentle I am a switcher, obviously.

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
Ok for the life of me I cant find these screenshots you guys are talking about, be gentle I am a switcher, obviously.

DUH, nevermind I keep forgetting to look up in the tool bar up top, its all there.

Sorry to bother you guys with this.

Reaction score
Replys

That's great for new messages, but is there any way to set a "default" reply account?

Thanks!

C

chas_m

The default reply is ALWAYS going to be the account the email was sent to. It's easy to change in order to reply from a different account, but no way to change "the default" reply account that I know of.

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is not working that way in Lion. That was true in Leopard, but in Lion it only get's the account where the mail is stored and not from de "from" field.

If you forward your email to another account, when you reply, the reply address will be the new account that "stores" the mail, not the original receiver.. A big headache!

Reaction score
Changing Default Send From Email Address

Go to Mail Preferences
Click on Composing
Change "Send New Messages From"

Reaction score
Not so easy but solved finally

The original problem for me was that I redirect several accounts to one Gmail account and, then, I manage that account from mail. When I moved to Lion, mail started to send mails using the Gmail account instead the account that received the mail, the one related in "from" field.

That's was something new...

Finally reading some forums, this one and others, I found the solution:

If you put all the addresses you manage in the field "mail address" in the account settings: Bingo!

Mail reads the "from" field and choose the right one!

Thanks all of you for your help!
:)

Reaction score
Reply default account

Unfortunately this is not working that way in Lion. That was true in Leopard, but in Lion it only get's the account where the mail is stored and not from de "from" field.

If you forward your email to another account, when you reply, the reply address will be the new account that "stores" the mail, not the original receiver.. A big headache!

Yes, this is what I'm experiencing as well and it's a real pain to switch the "reply from" dialog box each time. Makes me want to kill my icloud mail account entirely.

If anyone has a fix for this, I welcome it.

Reaction score
You can try something that worked to me. Seems that if you insert all the redirected accounts in the mail address entry (preferences> accounts), mail recognizes them and use them as a "from" field when you reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.