Blocked Ram slot

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iMac 7,1 and am trying to install a 2 gig stick of ram into my iMac in the 2nd slot which has been empty until now, but the black "tab" that the manual talks about to unseat the ram appears to be too long. The black tab is so long that it is curled up inside of the slot so that if I put the module in there I don't see how it's going to seat properly because that black tab is going to block it. Has anyone else run into this? BTW... the other slot where the original ram is seated doesn't appear to have the longer tab inside.

Thanks in advance for your help....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried pulling the tab up and out of the way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am not sure how to respond to your question via the forum, but the tabs I am talking about is too far inside the RAM slot. It appears it may be the same sort of tab that is used to loosen the RAM when removing the old.

Please do not respond to the thread using private mail to me. We want everyone to benefit from your question and any possible solution.

The tab you're referring to is indeed used to loosen and pull the module from the slot so that another module can be put in its place. If you see no way to pull the tab up so that the new module can be inserted, you may have to take your iMac to an authorized Apple repair service or Apple store and have them do it. If you damage the slot the entire logic board would have to be replaced.

OP
J
Reaction score
Blocked RAM slot

Thank you for your help. I hope this is the right way to repond.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi again,
My husband and I took care of the problem. Apparently, the black tab was not properly placed and had stuck to the top of the slot. My husband used a small screw driver to try to unstick the tab, pulled it down with needle nose pliers and pulled it toward the front of the slot where it belonged. He then folded it down so that it stuck in place where it was supposed to be. I then was able to insert the 2 gig of Ram and all is working wonderfully! Thank you for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.