Word 2011 Find & Replace Sidebar

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to have Word display more than 100 matches in the sidebar? If you have less than 100 in your document, you can see every instance in the sidebar, but if you go over 100, all the specific finds disappear.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Reaction score
I just went through Word's preferences and could find nothing that would allow you to define or change the number of entries appearing in the sidebar. Although, I would note that Word highlights all of the matches in the document, even if there are 1000.

My supposition is that Microsoft probably felt that 100 was adequate to help most people find something(s) obscure in a document, but if there were more matches than that, it probably just made more sense to highlight inline than bog down the system with duplicate content in a sidebar. Functionally, you should still be able to replace all the entries if you want to, or step through using the Find Next feature.

OP
A
Reaction score
I just went through Word's preferences and could find nothing that would allow you to define or change the number of entries appearing in the sidebar. Although, I would note that Word highlights all of the matches in the document, even if there are 1000.

My supposition is that Microsoft probably felt that 100 was adequate to help most people find something(s) obscure in a document, but if there were more matches than that, it probably just made more sense to highlight inline than bog down the system with duplicate content in a sidebar. Functionally, you should still be able to replace all the entries if you want to, or step through using the Find Next feature.

Thanks, Shikarnov. In a novel, it would have helped to see the little snippets of context for each occurrence beyond 100 matches, but 100 is better than nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.