Windows XP in Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion and Mountain Lion: Frequently asked questions

I have not upgraded from Snow Leopard as of yet as I need to upgrade to Office 2011, and replace several other PPC only apps. However the article above states that Windows XP is not supported in ML is this true? I have a XP partition and I need it for Windows apps. Do not tell me that I also need to upgrade that as well? I have 4GB's of RAM, and have portioned the Windows NTFS drive for 80GB of which I have more than 60GB's free. Will this be enough?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I believe Lion dropped support for WinXP, and ML would follow suit. If you want to continue using winXP then a virtual machine might be your best bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Windows 7 if your computer is reasonably new.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take note that it's Boot Camp 4.0 which no longer supports XP and Vista not the hardware. (If your Mac is a late 2010 and after it can only run Windows 7.)

If you already have XP installed in a Boot Camp partition and it's running OK, upgrading to Mountain Lion should not change anything provided you do not decide to recreate the partition and reinstall Windows. (Which there is no reason to do so.)

The caveat here is.... if your XP crashes for any reason and needs to be repaired or reinstalled after you install Mountain Lion, you will be unable to fix it or reinstall. In my opinion, you would be better off either doing what was suggested by "Raz0rEdge", or installing Windows 7 instead.

OP
E
Reaction score
Take note that it's Boot Camp 4.0 which no longer supports XP and Vista not the hardware. (If your Mac is a late 2010 and after it can only run Windows 7.)

If you already have XP installed in a Boot Camp partition and it's running OK, upgrading to Mountain Lion should not change anything provided you do not decide to recreate the partition and reinstall Windows. (Which there is no reason to do so.)

The caveat here is.... if your XP crashes for any reason and needs to be repaired or reinstalled after you install Mountain Lion, you will be unable to fix it or reinstall. In my opinion, you would be better off either doing what was suggested by "Raz0rEdge", or installing Windows 7 instead.

This is a late 2009 Mac that I bought in Feb of 2010. Okay good so once I buy iBank, & Office 2011 I can then get ML. I will avoid the Windows 7 & Office 2012 purchases to save costs. In the future however I will move to Windows 7 and Office 2012 as I am running Office 2003 under XP. According to Google Office 2003 will work under Windows 7. I am trying to CUT COSTS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, Office 2003 is still a very good version of Windows MS Office. I still have my copy along with Office 2007 and Office 2010. Office 2007 and 2010 have the Ribbon whereas Office 2003 is the last of the old Office versions.

OP
E
Reaction score

I believe Lion dropped support for WinXP, and ML would follow suit. If you want to continue using winXP then a virtual machine might be your best bet.

How can I do this? Are you saying I need to buy Parallels?

OP
E
Reaction score
Actually, Office 2003 is still a very good version of Windows MS Office. I still have my copy along with Office 2007 and Office 2010. Office 2007 and 2010 have the Ribbon whereas Office 2003 is the last of the old Office versions.

Plenty of companies do not like Office 2012 as its a joke. I have used it at work and think it stinks. I do not plan to downgrade to office 2012. However Mac office 2011 is MUCH BETER than Office 2004 or 2008 for the Mac. I would LOVE to get this version whenever I get the funds, or be bold and use my Credit Card.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can I do this? Are you saying I need to buy Parallels?

No, not necessarily. VirtualBox from Oracle is free and can run Windows 7. However, for now you should be OK updating to ML as long as you don't reinstall Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.