• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 11: How to work with multiple audio tracks?

Reaction score
I want to work with multiple audio tracks from a screencast. I cannot figure out how.

I have several audio files, one from each person that I'm playing with (output from our chat program). And, I have an audio track from the program I'm recording. All are stereo (even the chat -- "Mumble" gives positional information in chat).

Nothing is in iTunes or garage band. I've never used either. Don't know how.

My goal is to be able to take all these, make sure they are lined up properly (audio tracks will all be off slightly based on when people joined the chat and started talking). Adjust volumes on them separately (the program's audio, and one of the chat voices will need adjusting; the other voices are auto adjusted by Mumble).

I cannot even figure out how to import the various audio tracks, let along how to adjust their start times to get them all lined up.

Help, please?

C

chas_m

Imovie has a limit of one extra audio track beyond the embedded sound in the video, IIRC.

What you want to do is bring your movie and multiple audio tracks into Garageband, line em up there, then mix down and take the project back into iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
From your other topic:

My current want: Work with more than one audio track (I can't even get a second audio track in, and I do not mean a sound effect or iTune music, or garage band -- I mean an audio file about the same length as my video)

Under normal circumstances moving forward, I'll have a video file with no audio, and typically three audio tracks -- one from the program, one from my voice, and one (sometimes 2-3, usually 1) from the voice of the person/people I'm working with.

There may well be a limit, but I'll say that you can add as many tracks as you want.

There's two ways of adding an audio track. You can drop it in to the Project away from a clip and it becomes a Background track. You'll see the background of the Project turn green.

The second way is to drop it on top of the clip and move it around to get the start point right. It then becomes associated with that clip. You can drop further tracks onto the same clip and they just stack up underneath and then you can fade the audio in and out on each track as required. I've just dropped 5 tracks on to a clip.

You can do it all in iMovie, no need for Garage Band as long as you're using iMovie11. In 8 and 9 audio editing was a problem and GB was needed for anything complex, but iMovie11 fixed that.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey, that was the hint I needed.

I can just drag the audio in from finder! Something I never thought of, believe it or not -- and it works.

And if, as you say, I can toss multiple audio tracks in 11, then good! No need for GB. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.