Desktop Button

Reaction score
I have been using my iMac for a couple months now and love it.

I do have a question regarding a couple useful Windows features that I do not find the equivalent of on the iMac. There probably is something but I have just not found it.

First off, is there a SHOW DESKTOP shortcut like the bottom right of the taskbar in Win7? That was incredibly useful as all you had to do was pull the mouse down to the right and you found it.

The second thing I really made use of was the Snipping tool. Is there an equivalent?

Thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I have been using my iMac for a couple months now and love it.

I do have a question regarding a couple useful Windows features that I do not find the equivalent of on the iMac. There probably is something but I have just not found it.

First off, is there a SHOW DESKTOP shortcut like the bottom right of the taskbar in Win7? That was incredibly useful as all you had to do was pull the mouse down to the right and you found it.

The second thing I really made use of was the Snipping tool. Is there an equivalent?

Thanks for any suggestions

Shift, command, 4 at the same time will let you snip something on your screen.
Shift, command, 3 will do an entire screen shot.
I don't have an IMac but on my MacBook Pro you just swipe 3 fingers up to get to the desk top.

Read this

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

OP
BCRose
Reaction score
Played with that swipe, its all fingers pulling in to show desktop, reverse takes you back. Thanks.

Ok, the screen snip thing work but where does the snipped image go? I cannot find it. I tried pasting but nothing on clipboard.

Still learning the little things...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
When I do it it goes to my desk top.

ScreenShot2012-08-05at30429PM.png

Reaction score
In System Preferences click on Mission Control and at the bottom of that window click the Hot Corners button and set the corner you want to use to show your desktop. Then just pop your mouse to that corner when you want to see the desk top .

Screen Capture:
* Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

Or

Use Preview to take screen shots, it's under the File menu. From there you can Rename the image or save it to where ever you want and do some editing on it. Like Annotate the image with boxes or arrows and lines and text

OP
BCRose
Reaction score
Thanks for this...knew there would be more shortcuts :D

In System Preferences click on Mission Control and at the bottom of that window click the Hot Corners button and set the corner you want to use to show your desktop. Then just pop your mouse to that corner when you want to see the desk top .

Screen Capture:
* Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

Or

Use Preview to take screen shots, it's under the File menu. From there you can Rename the image or save it to where ever you want and do some editing on it. Like Annotate the image with boxes or arrows and lines and text

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.