Wireless backup for imac

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I got a new imac education edition. I'm trying to setup time machine for backing up my new computer but I'd like it to be wireless. I have a 500 Gb Maxtor hard drive plugged in to my belkin router. I have a 3 year old imac that could hook up to my maxtor through the router no problem. I backed up the new imac once with time machine by hooking it directly to the maxtor but now I want to hook it up wirelessly and the new imac gives me a "connection failed" message every time I try. I want the best of both worlds, I want my external hard drive to be network hard drive and a time machine back up for my new mac. Any suggestions would be great.

C

chas_m

I doubt that's going to work. Time Machine is primarily compatible with directly-connected external drives (any brand) but not with most non-Apple third-party routers. I'd suggest you get a Time Capsule (a combo router and hard drive) from Apple if that's what you're trying to do.

Perhaps someone else has a way to make that work, but my understanding is that TM doesn't support USB-based non-NAS drives attached to most third-party routers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are hacks to make it work with some non-Apple NAS solutions. Unfortunately, Belkin, who does make great cables, isn't known for great networking gear. What model router is it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.