• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Seeking iMovie How-To

Reaction score
Is there an iMovie How-To or iMovie Tutorial somewhere. I know nothing about editing movies and I have failed to figure out much about iMovie just by fiddling around with it.

My local Apple store isn't offering any in-store instruction sessions on iMovie at this time and I couldn't find anything in Support on the apple.com site.

A search of "iMovie" here didn't work out either.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a copy of "The Missing manual" for iMovie. which does cover a lot of ground. Not sure if there is one for the current '11 version, but the '09 seems to cover most of the main stuff, except things such as trailers.

OP
M
Reaction score
^^Maybe you could post it on mac-forums (?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Tutor for iMovie is available from the App store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I have failed to figure out much about iMovie just by fiddling around with it.
Try working through the iMovie Help manual. There's some useful stuff in there that will cover most of what you need to get going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
It's not very expensive, and is very good.
Got to be worth it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try working through the iMovie Help manual. There's some useful stuff in there that will cover most of what you need to get going.

Apple did not create "Tutor for iMovie." So no, they are not charging you for the instructions.

As stated, there is a full tutorial built into iMovie under the help menu. Part of it links back to Apple's own page on iMovie, chock full of video tutorials:

iLife - iMovie - Read about movie trailers and more new features.

Good advice. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
So how do I learn to do things not covered in there?

My current want: Work with more than one audio track (I can't even get a second audio track in, and I do not mean a sound effect or iTune music, or garage band -- I mean an audio file about the same length as my video)

(Yes, I have others :).

C

chas_m

Working with a second audio track is covered in this video:

Apple - Find Out How - Movies - iMovie

(the principle is the same whether the second audio is music or not.)

I suspect you are actually asking about a THIRD audio track, ie you have the original sound from the video, plus a music track/effects track, and want to add MORE audio than those two tracks.

If that's the case, you will need to work with the movie in Garageband and then "mix down" when you bring it back to iMovie.

Reaction score
I have never used iTunes or garage band. From what I saw of GB, it was a way to play musical instruments on your keyboard (I figure it could work with midi instruments, but I never needed or wanted to).

I have _NO_ music or effects.

I have anywhere from 0 to 4 tracks of voice.
Depending on the recording software I'm using, I may have an audio track in with the screencast of the program, or the audio track may be in a separate file (someone just released a plugin that lets it take a video during use, but that plugin puts the audio into a separate file. The good news is that the video recording done that way is exactly the size of the program window, and has a pause/resume feature which quicktime player does not.)

Under normal circumstances moving forward, I'll have a video file with no audio, and typically three audio tracks -- one from the program, one from my voice, and one (sometimes 2-3, usually 1) from the voice of the person/people I'm working with.

You are the first person I've seen that says to use garage band to mix the audio and video all together, presumably before starting to edit in iMovie. Fine. How? I have no clue here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
i have a series of tutorials about imovie on my blog - iMovie - The Mac Mania
hopefully they give you a good overview

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My current want: Work with more than one audio track (I can't even get a second audio track in, and I do not mean a sound effect or iTune music, or garage band -- I mean an audio file about the same length as my video)

Under normal circumstances moving forward, I'll have a video file with no audio, and typically three audio tracks -- one from the program, one from my voice, and one (sometimes 2-3, usually 1) from the voice of the person/people I'm working with.

There may well be a limit, but I'll say that you can add as many tracks as you want.

There's two ways of adding an audio track. You can drop it in to the Project away from a clip and it becomes a Background track. You'll see the background of the Project turn green.

The second way is to drop it on top of the clip and move it around to get the start point right. It then becomes associated with that clip. You can drop further tracks onto the same clip and they just stack up underneath and then you can fade the audio in and out on each track as required. I've just dropped 5 tracks onto a clip.

You can do it all in iMovie, no need for Garage Band as long as you're using iMovie11. In 8 and 9 audio editing was a problem and GB was needed for anything complex, but iMovie11 fixed that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.