Editing large numbers of photos on the iPad

Reaction score
Dear knowledgeable iPad users :)

I have an issue I've been thinking about for a while (and just joined Macforum to try and fix!) to do with using my iPad to edit photos. I use iPhoto on my mac mini + iPad, and would love to edit my vast photo archive on the commute to work. However in order to use my iPad I need to edit a photo, save as a new file on my iPad, transfer that photo back to my computer, move it back to the original event, then find and delete the original... Not a great workflow and painful to the point of useless for large numbers of photos.

Therefore my question is: what is the best (and most straightforward) way to use the iPad to edit large numbers of photos? Is there a way to just sync "edits" back to the core file on the Mac mini? I'm not particular about staying with iPhoto if there's another way but I haven't found a workaround yet and it means that I need to sit at my desktop for long periods of time to edit, or leave lots of photos untouched :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you considered using iPhoto for the iPad? I've never used it nor do I edit my photos on the iPad so I can't relate to how well it does. As far as moving photos from your Mac to the iPad and back, iCloud works well as long as you're using Lion 10.7.4 and later.

C

chas_m

I think the OP hinted that he WAS using iPhoto for iPad.

The answer for his issue, I think, is to take advantage of Photo Stream.

Here's my setup for this: I have my iPhoto on my Mac set up so that I must MANUALLY put things in Photo Stream for them to appear. As you probably know, anything put in Photo Stream is synced to your mobile devices, so they'll show up in Photos on your iPad. You can then edit the photo in iPhoto and save the result to Camera Roll, which is set up to automatically add new additions to Photo Stream. So now your Mac has a copy of the edited photo (via Photo Stream) and you can move it into the album and hide or delete the "original" if you like.

I suspect Apple will eventually introduce a more streamlined version of this, but that's how I work it for now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers - yes I am using iPhoto on both but the problem is the same - if I edit a photo I need to save it as a new file, transfer it back to my computer, move it back into the event and then delete the original.

It's true I don't currently use Photostream, and from what you've said it looks like it will save a bit of effort and time with syncing/transferring photos back to the computer, but I'll still need to then move them out of Photostream back into an event and delete the original - with lots of photos a considerable task.

It would be brilliant if the iCloud photo was held as the core file and I could edit it from any device, but it doesn't look to be set up in that way (yet?) - is that correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.