Bootcamp ejects windows disc

Reaction score
Hi there, hope someone can help. I am trying to get windows 7 onto my 2008 Imac 2.6 20" Aliminum computer. I downloaded the drivers OK, inserted the Windows 7 home Premium disc (original boxed Microsoft, it does have the word upgradeon the box?) the imac spins the disc up and then I hit install. I get a beachball then the mac ejects the disc. I close bootcamp and try and read the disc, It wont recognise it? I have tried both the 32 and 64 version, both the same. If I put either disc in my 2009 macbook pro it reads the disc.......... Is my imac obsolete already? Can I upgade the firmware for the drive? is it faulty? it reads dvd movies OK and loads mac osx or other software. Thanks for your help, I am really confussed,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi, welcome to the forums!

You need to use a non-upgrade retail version of a Windows installation disc (many upgrade discs aren't even bootable, I'm not sure about the retail ones but I know our volume license upgrade DVD's for windows 7 aren't bootable); you will also need OSX 10.6 or later to install windows 7 in bootcamp (it may be possible with 10.5, but looking at Apple's website, they only talk about 10.7 and 10.6 with regard to windows 7 - see: Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should work. I have a genuine Microsoft boxed Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade 32 and 64 bit disk set and both boot just fine. The upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium will install using the Boot Camp assistant, however, you can not activate it without reinstalling it over itself.

The likely problem is the disk drive on the 2008 iMac is not reading the Windows 7 DVD. I would try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air and then see if you can install Windows 7. Since the disks work on your MBP that tells us they're OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.