Replacing top cover on 15.4' MBP

Reaction score
I have a 2010 15.4 inch MacBook Pro that I was selling, but the other day I noticed I had some scratches on the top case and I've been going back and forth on what to do with it.

I was considering trying to replace the top cover to increase the value (or at the worst keep it the same) and if I tried this how difficult is this and how much am I looking at spending? I'm not the greatest when it comes to dealing with computers either. OR do I just leave it like it is now and obviously sell it for cheaper than what I asked?

So basically is it worth my time and money to replace the top cover or should I just leave it like it is now?

Any help is definitely appreciated! Thanks guys!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So basically is it worth my time and money to replace the top cover or should I just leave it like it is now?

From what you mentioned...it only sounds like the scratches are cosmetic. Thus...it's really not worth repairing. You'll never recoup the costs of the repair when selling (repair costs would probably be $150-$200 + labor). Even if you got some used parts cheap...and installed things yourself...it would probably be $50-$75.

Plenty of these MacBook Pro's are sold all the time with dents, ding's, scratches, nick's, etc. Your MacBook Pro probably isn't much different.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
From what you mentioned...it only sounds like the scratches are cosmetic. Thus...it's really not worth repairing. You'll never recoup the costs of the repair when selling (repair costs would probably be $150-$200 + labor). Even if you got some used parts cheap...and installed things yourself...it would probably be $50-$75.

Plenty of these MacBook Pro's are sold all the time with dents, ding's, scratches, nick's, etc. Your MacBook Pro probably isn't much different.

- Nick

I didn't realize how expensive it would be to get it repaired. I called about 5 different people and the cheapest I found was $150. Safe to say, I'm leaving it like is, probably will just take $50 off the asking price.

Thanks for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I didn't realize how expensive it would be to get it repaired. I called about 5 different people and the cheapest I found was $150. Safe to say, I'm leaving it like is, probably will just take $50 off the asking price.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome...good luck with the sale.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.