Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
I have just jumped directly from the last version of Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and I have struck a problem. The change from iCal to Calendar. In iCal I had structured a timeline of events going back to 1966, with the change to Calendar I now find I have nothing. I thought I could maybe reinstate it from my Time Machine backup but I find the iCal icon is overwritten by a prohibition sign. My question is this. Is it possible to reclaim this data or is this a function of my skipping Lion?

C

chas_m

To the best of my knowledge, iCal/Calendar's data is stored separately of the program, probably in your User Library (which is normally hidden but not inaccessible). I would imagine that you can reinstate your iCal data by moving the data file (not the app) into the right place in Mountain Lion. I know that all my old iCal data migrated over without any participation on my part just fine, but I upgraded from Lion.

Update: taking just a quick look at this, it would appear that my guess was right. You will want to restore the (User)/Library/Calendars (note the s) folder from your TM backup to the same place on your Mountain Lion system.

As I mentioned, the User Library (in the Users folder) is normally hidden. You can access it by holding down the option key while clicking the Go menu in the finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2009 (4th iMac, 5th Apple desktop), 4Gb memory Intel
I have just jumped directly from the last version of Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and I have struck a problem. The change from iCal to Calendar. In iCal I had structured a timeline of events going back to 1966, with the change to Calendar I now find I have nothing. I thought I could maybe reinstate it from my Time Machine backup but I find the iCal icon is overwritten by a prohibition sign. My question is this. Is it possible to reclaim this data or is this a function of my skipping Lion?

I also made the jump from Snow Leopard to ML (OSX.8) and calendar showed past items but not future appointments. With the help of Apple phone Support (I recommend) and my Time Machine backup of iCal, we were able to retrieve my future appointments and integrate them into Calendar. I have a late 2009 iMac. Because you bought OSX.8, you will have free Apple phone support for a while.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, firstly for such a rapid response, secondly for such concise instructions. Following chas_m's outline everything went as smooth as silk and all my data was restored completely. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and I am indebted to you both. Being one of the few people on the planet that doesn't have an iPhone, I doubt I will need their support, not at the moment at least.;) Thanks again guys. All the best, Clibran.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2009 (4th iMac, 5th Apple desktop), 4Gb memory Intel
Thanks Guys, firstly for such a rapid response, secondly for such concise instructions. Following chas_m's outline everything went as smooth as silk and all my data was restored completely. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and I am indebted to you both. Being one of the few people on the planet that doesn't have an iPhone, I doubt I will need their support, not at the moment at least.;) Thanks again guys. All the best, Clibran.

Glad your problem is solved! When I wrote 'Apple phone support' I meant support BY phone. Contacting Apple for support and service This link will give you worldwide support numbers. When you buy Apple software, it comes free for, 90 days I think.
I am the other guy in the world without an iPhone!

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry K, just a matter of conditioning. Thanks for the clarification. So far in my Apple usage career (since System 6) I have never needed phone support, Apple being so intuitive and the users being so helpful. Many thanks again. Clibran. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.